Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Starching: When and Why? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/starching-when-why-t35310.html)

Bluphrog 01-28-2010 08:08 AM

I was told that you should always use spray starch if you pre-wash your fabrics, but you don't need to if you don't. I guess because pre-washing takes out the sizing that the manufacturers include in their process. Also, Harriet Hargrave recommends using a very light spray starch when you are pressing while you are constructing your blocks. Your seams lay flatter and make it much easier to stitch in the ditch when you are quilting.

If you do use spray starch, you need to wash the quilt if it isn't going to be used right away, because it attracts bugs.

SherriB 01-28-2010 08:43 AM

I am a heavy starch convert! :lol: I love how easy my fabric is to cut and my seams line up much better when I starch. I love the Niagra spray starch but my try the kind you mix yourself. I just bought a gallon of Mary Ellen's Best from Joann's for $21, tax and shipping made it $29.00 I am going to save it for special quilt projects.

craftiladi 01-28-2010 08:58 AM

" am a heavy starch convert! I love how easy my fabric is to cut and my seams line up much better when I starch. I love the Niagra spray starch "

SherriB...ditto....I didn't realize how much easier starch would make cutting, folding over my 1/4 seams...everything is just so much easier and now I think back to all the time I never thought to use starch. Live N Learn what you like and don't like is alot of learning quilting.
dee-soaking up the wonderful knowledge-thank-you

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 01-28-2010 09:53 AM

Before the ladies on the board told me to starch my fabric, I though starch was just for keeping your basketball shoes from sliding!!

grammynan 01-28-2010 01:21 PM

Thanks for all your useful information. I'll give it a try!

craftybear 01-28-2010 06:53 PM

Hi, thanks for starting this thread as I was wondering about starching also.

Karen

amma 01-30-2010 01:39 AM

I starch all of my fabrics pretty heavily.
It keeps my borders and quilt edges from rippling, while PP I can finger press. When sewing strips together I don't have any problems with them bowing either. I have not yet found a problem with using my stiff fabrics :wink: But I can list many more benefits to starching.
I have gone through my starched fabrics and have not seen any sign of bugs, but I think it can be more of a regional issue.

Ninnie 01-30-2010 03:48 AM

I starch, and just use Niagra Spray Starch. It makes cutting and matching seams and sides so much easier.

lisalovesquilting 01-30-2010 04:30 AM

I like to use sizing. I makes fabric easier to cut but not stiff. Although if you spray more than once it will get stiffer. Also if I don't wash a quilt right away it is O.K.

Oklahoma Suzie 01-30-2010 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by LindaR
I use Mary Ellen's spray startch and always spray when I finish a block...if I have bias edges its good to starch also...sure helps

I used to use hers, but now I make my own. Much cheaper.