Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Started my next quilt: Little Steps Quilt....BUT (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/started-my-next-quilt-little-steps-quilt-but-t186092.html)

tngal22 04-14-2012 06:38 PM

Started my next quilt: Little Steps Quilt....BUT

I can't cut straight. lol I so need a table because right now I use the floor. I would use my kitchen table but I would have to drag everything downstairs (plus DH tries to keep the little one busy downstairs while I try to sew). I keep begging DH to clean off his desk that he NEVER uses so I can use it. I think I have about worn him down. ;)

Anywho, this is my first non-precut type quilt. I have just done a strip quilt, the jelly roll race quilt and used layer cakes for another quilt. I had to cut each square for this one and lets just say they are not all the right size. :thumbdown: But I know my cousin will enjoy it even if it isn't perfect. I am still learning and I wanted to make something different for her upcoming little one.

Oh and I need a new cutting mat. My Little One bent mine and when I was cutting tonight, I cut right through the mat! Part of it is my fault as I don't have a good storage place for it...it is a big one. My next one I will find a place to hang it and out of her sight.

Grandma Peg 04-14-2012 07:11 PM

Good luck with your quilt. It all works out.

hopetoquilt 04-15-2012 12:27 AM

If you have a spare skirt hanger, you can hang your mat in the closet. A piece of thick plywood or wood in general could work as a makeshift cutting surface. Take your time with cutting and accuracy will improve. My problem is not the cutting but maintaining the 1/4 inch seam. I am getting my husband's desk tomorrow when he replaces his desktop computer with a laptop... woohoo.

Don't throw out your "broken" cutting mat. Cut it into a smaller useable surface and use it to cut out stuff with templates like triangles or tumbler blocks. Some people use them to line the bottom of quilted bags that they make.

Krisb 04-15-2012 07:59 AM

I empathize with you. Cutting straight is also a challenge to me. Placing little dots of sandpaper or true grips or a similar product to the bottom side of the ruler will help keep it from sliding, which is often where the crooked cuts arise. Also, the markings on the ruler aren't always easy to see. If you place a piece of blue paimter's tape on the line you will be using, it can help. Good luck.

Dina 04-15-2012 09:14 AM

I store my larger cutting mat under my bed. That might work for you? You might also find June Taylor's Shape Cut ruler handy? I couldn't cut out a quilt without it. Read the instructions carefully if you decide to get one and if you do't have another quilter to show you how to use it... but it is my favorite ruler. I got mine at Wal-Mart, though I know that Hancick's and Hobby Lobby both have them, or at least they do here.

Who says you have to cut the pieces out perfectly anyway...

Dina

tngal22 04-15-2012 09:50 AM

Thanks everyone!

Since I will be close tomorrow, I might head to JoAnn's and take advantage of their sale. ;) Might need to get a couple of mats, just in case. lol

tjradj 04-15-2012 04:27 PM

Congratulations on taking up quilting. Your skills will improve over time, we all started there!
I also strongly recommend the June Taylor ShapeCut ruler. It has slots in it that you slide your rotary cutter through. It's like having training wheels on your rotary cutter !.
As for storing your mat, slide it against the wall behind a dresser or wall unit.

Suze9395 04-15-2012 04:59 PM

I recently had to replace my large cutting mat. My son took it to school and his art class is using it, they use xacto knives on some of their projects and were glad to have it.

Aurora 04-16-2012 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by tngal22 (Post 5142854)
Thanks everyone!

Since I will be close tomorrow, I might head to JoAnn's and take advantage of their sale. ;) Might need to get a couple of mats, just in case. lol

If you order on-line JoAnns's ships mats and June Taylor Rulers and very nice flat bi-folded cardboard containers that are great for storage as well. I store my mats and JT Rulers in mine and slide it behind a chest for storage. Works great!

solstice3 04-16-2012 08:14 AM

I bought one of the LARGE cutting mats when I had a 40% off coupon and have it on my diningroom table covered by a table pad and table cloth. Since it is only DH and me, if I am in the middle of a project, we eat elsewhere. The nice thing is I don't have to worry about storage when not in use. :-)