Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Starting 4th Bargello (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/starting-4th-bargello-t239434.html)

hairquilt 01-23-2014 05:57 AM

Your yellows look wonderful!(My favorite color) Very interesting that you are enlarging size. How will that work? Please post more as you go along! I love the Surf Song pattern!

michelleoc 01-23-2014 07:18 AM

You've done a terrific job. The eye just moves easily from light to dark, not pausing on the way for a color that 'sticks out'. Please post more pics as you go along!

ManiacQuilter2 01-23-2014 07:49 AM

Dina, you are on the right course. I have told many quilters to lay out strips of fabric on a design wall and look at it many times a day. I even ripped out a fabric that once cut, was NOT working well. I do like your colors but I am slightly worried about that screaming yellow. If it doesn't bother you. then go for it. When you put so much effort into a Bargello, you don't want to make a mistake. I am starting to pull fabric to work on one Eileen Wright's quilt from her new book More Twist and Turn Bargello quilts. Good Luck and look forward to photos of the progress of this quilt.

Sewnoma 01-23-2014 07:53 AM

I love these colors! It's going to be a gorgeous quilt. I adore Bargellos too, I've only done 2 but I have at least 4 or 5 more knocking around in my head just waiting for me to find time to make them!

I do the same as you when making them...lots and lots of revisions before I find a strip set that seems right. I usually start with 30-40 different fabrics and then end up with about 20 actually make it to the quilt.

DogHouseMom 01-23-2014 09:38 AM

Looking at the pic of the yellow fabrics ... are the fabrics to the far right (to the right of the bright yellow) fabrics that you "pulled" from the selection, or do they belong to the right of the bright yellow??

The blues look great. The yellows - just trying to figure out if you are trying to put that bright yellow in the center of whole selection of yellows, or if the fabrics to the far right are out of consideration. If you are trying to center the bright yellow in the whole selection of yellows (to make it "glow" as you said), then you might want to balance it out and take some of the fabrics from the far left and add them to the right.

Dina 01-23-2014 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by hairquilt (Post 6529735)
Your yellows look wonderful!(My favorite color) Very interesting that you are enlarging size. How will that work? Please post more as you go along! I love the Surf Song pattern!

Well, if I can keep it straight in my head, I am adding 1/4 inch to the length and width of each piece. That means I cut each strip 1 3/4 inches so far, then when I am cutting the next step, I will add 1/4 inch wider than it says.

If my math is right, it should give me about ten inches more in length and width. We'll see.

Dina

Dina 01-23-2014 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 6530004)
Dina, you are on the right course. I have told many quilters to lay out strips of fabric on a design wall and look at it many times a day. I even ripped out a fabric that once cut, was NOT working well. I do like your colors but I am slightly worried about that screaming yellow. If it doesn't bother you. then go for it. When you put so much effort into a Bargello, you don't want to make a mistake. I am starting to pull fabric to work on one Eileen Wright's quilt from her new book More Twist and Turn Bargello quilts. Good Luck and look forward to photos of the progress of this quilt.

I have her new book too. Which pattern are you making? Like you, I am not sure about my yellows, but I think I will like them. I intend to make one strip set and then cut it into pieces and lay it on the design wall and THEN decide for sure about my yellows. :) Or at least that is my plan.

Dina

Dina 01-23-2014 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom (Post 6530230)
Looking at the pic of the yellow fabrics ... are the fabrics to the far right (to the right of the bright yellow) fabrics that you "pulled" from the selection, or do they belong to the right of the bright yellow??

The blues look great. The yellows - just trying to figure out if you are trying to put that bright yellow in the center of whole selection of yellows, or if the fabrics to the far right are out of consideration. If you are trying to center the bright yellow in the whole selection of yellows (to make it "glow" as you said), then you might want to balance it out and take some of the fabrics from the far left and add them to the right.

No, the yellows to the far right, after the number 7, have been removed from my original selections. Their feelings were hurt, but I eliminated them. I just hadn't removed them from the design wall when I took the picture. Currently they are in my "just in case" stack. :)

Dina

Cagey 01-24-2014 04:17 PM

I'm still studying books on how to do bargello but haven't worked up the nerve to try it. Imagine - your 4th. I'm impressed. Love yellow and blues together.

Dina 01-24-2014 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Cagey (Post 6532761)
I'm still studying books on how to do bargello but haven't worked up the nerve to try it. Imagine - your 4th. I'm impressed. Love yellow and blues together.

Give it a try! I promise that if I can do it, anyone can. I did read the instructions over and over, and I made a place mat first, to learn the technique.

Dina