Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Starting a quilting life late in life...... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/starting-quilting-life-late-life-t267539.html)

gigi712 07-13-2015 11:45 AM

Starting a quilting life late in life......

that's what I did and there are many challenges to overcome, but that's half the fun. The part that bothers me is there's so many quilts I want to make and I'm so slooooow, not sure I'll get them done. So, I've decided to do my favorites first and go from there.

Anybody else in the same boat? Maybe if we all row together, we'll get there, lol.

sewbizgirl 07-13-2015 12:00 PM

There are many with you! Lots of people don't have the time or the $$ until they reach retirement. I'm just glad you finally found quilting! Enjoy making your favorites.

quiltingcandy 07-13-2015 12:22 PM

Don't worry about the future - it will take care of itself. Just enjoy each quilt you make. I have a friend that called me on her 75th birthday all depressed telling me she only had 15 more good years. (Her mother had died at 90 - but her sister never got that far.) After about 10 minutes of her call I said, "You have 2 choices, 1. you can hurry up and enjoy what time you have or 2. sit for the next 15 years and feel sorry for yourself." She has traveled all over the world with her husband, they own their home, are season ticket holders to the local MLB team and has a lot of friends. Not to forget she has been in relatively good health - she turns 90 next March. (I'm 61 and hope to live as long.) She still tells me how depressed she is for getting old - dwelling on the negative is not going to accomplish what you want to do. Just do what you want and enjoy it as you go along. My dad died 9 years before my mom - she kept talking about how they never went on the cruise to Alaska they talked about for years. When I suggested that my sisters & I could take her she said it wouldn't be the same. No, no it wouldn't but it would have been a memory to remember instead of whining about one that never happened.

I do not intend to make your concerns sound trivial and do not want to sound negative - I just want to to say enjoy the here and now - no one is guaranteed tomorrow. (My sister died suddenly at the age of 57.) Don't worry about being slow making your quilts - many quilters like to take their time and enjoy the process and savor each one they make.

MsHeirloom 07-13-2015 12:27 PM

Great comments so far, and am sure many more will follow. We can only do the best we can and make the most of whatever time we have left. I also think it's important for us to find stewards for our equipment and supplies so that another generation can benefit from all we have acquired. I have been teaching my granddaughters to sew since they were 5. I hope they will follow me in my love of sewing and quilting.

5moose 07-13-2015 12:37 PM

Thank-you quiltingcandy. The you are so right. 4 years ago when my brother died early I realized "we are not promised a tomorrow" Enjoy every quilt you can make. Some quilts I breeze through and some make me thinks too hard! But with every quilt I enjoy the process. Many thoughts and prayers go into each and every quilt I make. Even if I'm not making it for any special person I spend a lot of time in silent conversation with myself. So when I give a quilt and say "Lots of warm hugs and wishes are sewn into this quilt." I really mean it. Enjoy every stitch!

RainyBC 07-13-2015 01:00 PM

I wish I had become interested in quilting years ago, but it wasn't until I was 78 that something happened to peek my interest. I'm now 80 years old and have produced quite a few quilts, wall hangings etc. They are certainly not the most professional, but I like them and most people I give quilts to seem to be very pleased with them. I honestly don't even think about when I am no longer here and just enjoy everyday that I wake in the morning. I honestly believe having an interest, or a passion in life makes one younger and plan to quilt up a storm (at least in winter) until I can no longer move my fingers.

Enjoy your hobby for as long as the good Lord allows!

helou 07-13-2015 01:19 PM

Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey!

Latrinka 07-13-2015 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by gigi712 (Post 7255777)
that's what I did and there are many challenges to overcome, but that's half the fun. The part that bothers me is there's so many quilts I want to make and I'm so slooooow, not sure I'll get them done. So, I've decided to do my favorites first and go from there.

Anybody else in the same boat? Maybe if we all row together, we'll get there, lol.

We'd all be more likely to get there if we got off of here! LOL! Nah, gotta have a break now and again, just love lookin, but then that makes more that I want to do! Good luck on your new adventure!

Mdegenhart 07-13-2015 02:59 PM

I'm 54 & just started a couple years ago. Hadn't sewed since I was a teenager. I'd always wanted to learn.

gigi712 07-13-2015 03:03 PM

Very sage advice from everyone, tks. I've been quilting about 7 years, reached the ripe old age of 65 in February. Due to health issues I'm not able to sew as much as I'd like, but I thoroughly enjoy every minute that I'm working on a quilt, it's been the best therapy for me. So glad I decided to get into it when I did. Its never too late to find your passion.