Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Starting a Sewing Bee at a Nursing Home.....Help Needed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/starting-sewing-bee-nursing-home-help-needed-t65922.html)

purplemem 09-22-2010 02:18 AM

Quilting Stab Stitch - Twin Pointed - JJ620DE
John James
PREMIER COLLECTION
IMPROVED - The Twin Pointed Stab Stitch needle is NOW shorter for better control and the centered eye is stronger. Enjoy faster stab stitch quilting. Less thread twisting, less wrist strain. Sharp Points.
Size 10 - 3 Count
View technique
$ 2.95

These are from colonialneedle.com.

sew wishful 09-22-2010 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by purplemem
Quilting Stab Stitch - Twin Pointed - JJ620DE
John James
PREMIER COLLECTION
IMPROVED - The Twin Pointed Stab Stitch needle is NOW shorter for better control and the centered eye is stronger. Enjoy faster stab stitch quilting. Less thread twisting, less wrist strain. Sharp Points.
Size 10 - 3 Count
View technique
$ 2.95

These are from colonialneedle.com.

Oh...thanks so much!! Can't wait to see how this all works!!

eiltcoq 09-22-2010 04:00 AM

lostn51, This would be fun to do. There are so many things the
ladies/gents could make starting with the 'Walker bags', lap quilts, quilts for the end of their beds, wall hangings, etc. Enjoy!! Eiltcoq.

eiltcoq 09-22-2010 04:04 AM

lostn51, I've always enjoyed listening to people tell me about their early years. I would enjoy something like this. I'm glad most of them are ambulatory. Eiltcoq.

eiltcoq 09-22-2010 04:11 AM

lostn51, Let us know what you need and how we can help. Some of us have projects (quilt tops) started and don't have the time to finish them. Some of us have material that we can donate. Just let us know what colors of material are needed.
Take advantage of the free patterns. Eiltcoq.

Tinabodina 09-22-2010 04:14 AM

Being a retired Director of a Senior Community, the one thing I would recommend is to be sure to use a good contrast of colors. Many people in the homes have a problem seeing. See if you can find a place to donate the quilt for a raffle. If it is a small town, many of the people in the home would have gone to the same church. That is where I would start.
Just an idea.

mar32428 09-22-2010 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Okay everyone pretty much knows that we had to put my FIL in a nursing home a few weeks ago. Well this place is in a small town and feels more like your grandmas home than what it really is. The place is full of love and caring folks and everyone just love living there including my FIL.

I was talking to the director and was asking if they have a quilting bee per se but they do not. Then my wife suggested that I start one for them and the director thought it was a brilliant idea. SO I am going to bring a couple of my treadles up there (Lord knows I have plenty) and I am going to work with the ladies and men who want to participate in it.

Now there is the thing that I am having a difficult time with......what are we going to make.

Now I know there are ladies up there that know so much about quilting and I am really looking forward to learning from them and I am also looking forward to seeing them use my treadles and bring back wonderful memories. :)

Other than this group I have never been in a quilting group much less taken a class a day in my life. I am like Eddie I just looked at a quilt one day and said "it cant be that hard" and there I go!!

So how would you guys handle something like this? I am not sure how many ladies will be participating but I plan on buying all of the materials and supplies and I am looking forward to reliving the good old days. This will also give me a chance to have an active role in the home and I can see Paw Paw more often than just once or twice a week. ;)

Billy

You might put an article in the local newspaper and ask for donations. You'd be surprised how many family members have lost a loved one and have no idea where to get rid of "?"s stash. My ASG gets loads of donated fabric. We use it for our charitable work.

Rettie V. Grama 09-22-2010 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by no1jan
I'm sorry to here your FIL had to go to a nursing home but glad you found such a quaint, caring one! And happier still that you are doing such a wonderful project that will benefit so many people!

Baby quilts are a nice idea, but I was also thinking of having them make lap quilts for the members of the nursing home. As everyone knows, older people feel the cold more.

By making lap quilts they would be able to use their treasures, plus be able to see them all the time. Once they have made one for themselves, they could make additional ones and "raffle" them off to other members of the nursing home.

My suggestion here would be to draw names in a type of contest, however once a person wins, their name is removed until all have received a quilt.

I can just picture a couple of months from now, hundreds of lap quilts as you walk down halls and into the common rooms!
:-P :-P :-P

This would allow all the members to see their quilts daily and give a more homey atmosphere to the place.

This is just like you Billy doing such a caring thing for others. Your shoulders must weigh a ton with all of those angel wings you have collected!

God Bless You and all your new friends at the nursing home!

:-D :-D :-D :thumbup:

What a wonderful idea. I'm moving to a retirement community soon and your idea of raffling off lap quilt is superb..

Fabaddict 09-22-2010 05:23 AM

What a wonderful, wonderful idea. THere are so many ideas above. The residents are really gonna love you for helping to make their surroundings more beautiful!!!! Way to Go!!!!!!!

Joanne 09-22-2010 05:32 AM

If I may add my two cents-quilts for babies. They are small, quicker results so patients can be proud of their work, and they can decide where to send them. Some to a NICU, social services or police dept. for crisis intervention, project Linus, and even an animal shelter for real small quilts for animal cages. The need is great and the patients become an important part of giving their talents. They are not just old folks stuck "in the home" with nothing to do.