Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Stash building fabric of the month clubs....Worth it? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stash-building-fabric-month-clubs-worth-t183774.html)

QuiltingCrazie 03-23-2012 08:08 AM

Stash building fabric of the month clubs....Worth it?

So I'm starting this with a happy dance because I have been without internet for two days and I thought the world had ended...it didn't and I survived!

So in November I started doing a Moda fat quarter of the month club with Keepsake Quilting (not affiliated with just shop there alot). I love Moda so I thought this will be great and I'll get new fabric and build a stash plus it fit into my budget. So over the past couple months got a couple shipments and I wondered what I was thinking letting people pick fabric out for me and I will never use this, not my style. Love moda quality but every manufacturer has fabric that fits you and some that doesn't. Today again with no internet I decided to cut all the pieces for this memory quilt for my Aunt. Her color scheme was nothing I had, I have been buying for this quilt and low and behold i need a tiny bit of color so it dawns on me look at those fat quarters because i didn't need much and wow ones I thought I would never use worked beautifully I laid it out and even I'm impressed with how perfect it is! I ended up using three. So I have decided that it is worth it because it opens my horizons to fabric prints that i would never buy and I realize I would have lost that moment where a quilt just smiles at you!!! I will post pics when I'm finished...Thanks

CoyoteQuilts 03-23-2012 08:37 AM

Isn't it amazing when we buy something today and it is just perfect for tomorrow? I buy off of the 'discontinued' racks all the time not knowing what I shall use it for, but with one of my last classes it all came in real handy. I didn't have to buy a single piece of fabric and it really is beautiful. When I picked the fabrics I thought, 'it's just practice and it doesn't matter', but when the 'practice' was put together it just popped!

jcrow 03-23-2012 08:49 AM

I have a fat quarter of the month club from Fat Quarter Shop. I like what I get. It's kind of expensive but they send stuff I would never pick out for myself and I'm also finding that I'm liking it.

virtualbernie 03-23-2012 09:55 AM

I don't belong to a club but when I do something for someone that I expect to get paid for I ask that they pay me in fabric with the understanding that they have to go to the store and pick out the fabric without me. That way I get all kinds of "weird" stuff that I wouldn't have picked out myself and that pushes me out of my comfort zone. I normally buy "marblely" fabrics (didn't even realize I was doing it until I really looked one day). I usually have something to blend with whatever they buy! So I understand about getting fabric you never thought you would use! :)

leatheflea 03-23-2012 01:37 PM

I've bought some grab bags at other sites and have never been let down. Some of the fabric isnt something that I would buy. That makes me work outside of my comfort zone. Glad to hear you had good expierence. Waiting for the finished project.....

Lori S 03-23-2012 05:39 PM

I think sometimes we all need a nudge to get out of our comfort zone. Sometimes when I visit my mom , we will spent hours in her stash . She loves it when I put together combinations .
If getting fabric deliverd that you did not pick out is that nudge than its worth it.

Rose Marie 03-24-2012 06:38 AM

For awhile I got a monthly fat quarter pack from Quilt In A Day. That was several years ago.
I did find that I used the fabrics for projects I was making and used most of them over the years. So yes it is a good way to get fabrics you would not buy yourself but find they are useful.

nanaoftbwl 04-22-2014 12:41 PM

Fantastic Idea

Originally Posted by virtualbernie (Post 5084845)
I don't belong to a club but when I do something for someone that I expect to get paid for I ask that they pay me in fabric with the understanding that they have to go to the store and pick out the fabric without me. That way I get all kinds of "weird" stuff that I wouldn't have picked out myself and that pushes me out of my comfort zone. I normally buy "marblely" fabrics (didn't even realize I was doing it until I really looked one day). I usually have something to blend with whatever they buy! So I understand about getting fabric you never thought you would use! :)

I love this idea. I will have to see if I can get that to working for me. Thanks for sharing

Doggramma 04-22-2014 01:42 PM

Totally agreed. It's wonderful to have all kinds of different fabrics to go to when you're in the middle of a project.

I ordered some "modern" FQ assortments on Ebay (fabrics not my choosing). When they arrived I was annoyed because they weren't what I considered modern nor were they coordinating (my comfort zone!) But in re-looking at them, there are certainly fabrics that could blend in or perk up a quilt. And it's good to get out of your comfort zone.

Skyangel 04-22-2014 01:57 PM

A friend cleaned out her stash and gave a bunch to me. She has different taste and generally uses a different color pallet. But I went looking for fabric for classes I'm taking this weekend (Quilt College my guild holds bi-annually) and sure enough there are fabrics that suit the projects without me buying anything. Ones I would never bought for myself but are really growing on me. Unfortunately these are 3 hour classes so they will not have time to complete and undoubtedly become a UFO for awhile.