Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Stash Building Rules (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stash-building-rules-t49198.html)

Pamela Artman 06-10-2010 07:39 PM

I've had people ask me how I built my stash and how to know what fabrics to buy. So, I thought I'd write down my Stash Building "Rules"

1. If you fall in love with a fabric, buy it. If you don't have fabrics to go with it you can find some later.
2. Carry swatches with you of your favorite "focus" fabrics and then if you run into a sale, you can buy what matches the fabrics you already have.
3. Build up a supply of different colors. For example, I realized one day that I had very few yellow and gold fabrics and no browns or oranges whatsoever, but I had tons and tons of blues and greens and purples. That helped me steer away from the colors I had in abundance and look for colors I was lacking.
4. Buy a variety of prints (as well as some solids and blenders) - tone on tones, small and large florals, plaids, stripes, polka dots, and some outrageous prints just for fun (like jungle prints or sparkly fireworks!) A mix of fabrics makes quilts interesting!
5. Don't forget border fabrics - and be sure you buy enough to make borders for a full or queen size quilt.
6. Shop for a variety of fabric styles - 30's reproductions, civil war reproductions, batiks, holiday fabrics, juvenile prints, flannels, and baby fabrics (baby quilts make great gifts!) Preprinted labels are also handy to have on hand.
7. Be sure to include a variety of values - darks, mediums and lights. And don't forget a good supply of background fabrics. For me, it's white, cream or beige tone on tones as well as some bleached and unbleached muslin.

And a rule I made for myself, 8 - know when to quit. I've come to the point where I know I have a big enough stash and to keep buying fabric just to pile it up is wasteful and indulgent. I have enough fabric in my stash that I can make quilts for the rest of my life and never run out. It was hard to break that habit at first but now I buy only what I need to finish a project I'm working on if I can't find it in my stash.

MistyMarie 06-10-2010 07:43 PM

Those rules sound great. I have to say that my problem is I buy fabric with a project in mind, then a few months (or years later) I cannot remember what I bought to go with what. I then am afraid to use the fabric because I KNOW I intended it for some project and if I use it, I might regret it later when I remember why I bought it in the first place. I am getting to where I write down what I want to do with the fabric and tacking it to it so that I can remember what my thinking behind each piece I purchase was.

Pamela Artman 06-10-2010 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by MistyMarie
Those rules sound great. I have to say that my problem is I buy fabric with a project in mind, then a few months (or years later) I cannot remember what I bought to go with what. I then am afraid to use the fabric because I KNOW I intended it for some project and if I use it, I might regret it later when I remember why I bought it in the first place. I am getting to where I write down what I want to do with the fabric and tacking it to it so that I can remember what my thinking behind each piece I purchase was.

That's a good idea. I keep a notebook of quilts I've made, quilts I'm working on, quilts I have planned (either pattern, fabric or both) and quilts I want to make someday. If it's planned with the pattern, I bundle all the fabrics together and put them on my shelf with the pattern inclosed. most of my bundles don't have patterns yet, I just bundled fabrics together that I bought to go together. I have about 30 of these bundles so I have lots of future projects to do! LOL

bearisgray 06-10-2010 07:50 PM

The only one I sort of disagree with is #6.

I've decided to not start any more "categories" - because if I have "some of" something, then I think I need "more of" that same something.

I do think it's good to have a variety of prints within a category.

Chele 06-11-2010 03:39 AM

Your rules are great. I should follow number 8 more! It's just hard!

raptureready 06-11-2010 04:32 AM

In my world there's a 9th rule:

If it's on a good sale, buy it. If it can be used as a backing, buy lots of it.

ghostrider 06-11-2010 05:10 AM

While your rules may work just fine for you and your style and tastes in quiltmaking, I wouldn't put them out there in such specificity for those who are just starting to build a stash.

I think it's much better to start out with a favorite color palette (warm or cool is good) and style of fabric, buying a fairly wide selection in limited coordinating colors in all values, blenders and prints, with some neutrals added in to the mix, than it is to spread out too much in the beginning. Building a large, workable stash takes years and it's a very personal journey. Start with a strong foundation before choosing the furniture. :-D

craftybear 06-11-2010 07:42 AM

thanks for sharing!

bearisgray 06-11-2010 07:51 AM

Quote has been edited:

Originally Posted by ghostrider

I think it's much better to start out with a favorite color palette (warm or cool is good) and style of fabric, buying a fairly wide selection in limited coordinating colors in all values, blenders and prints, with some neutrals added in to the mix, than it is to spread out too much in the beginning. ... :-D

Good advice!

It's like building a workable wardrobe. If one has 12 pieces that go together well, one has all sorts of possibilities.

By the same token, if one has 100 garments, and nothing goes well, all one basically has is a crowded closet.

dkabasketlady 06-11-2010 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Quote has been edited:

Originally Posted by ghostrider

I think it's much better to start out with a favorite color palette (warm or cool is good) and style of fabric, buying a fairly wide selection in limited coordinating colors in all values, blenders and prints, with some neutrals added in to the mix, than it is to spread out too much in the beginning. ... :-D

Good advice!

It's like building a workable wardrobe. If one has 12 pieces that go together well, one has all sorts of possibilities.

By the same token, if one has 100 garments, and nothing goes well, all one basically has is a crowded closet.

That's very sound advice!
I think the list should be combined with everyone's thoughts for a list! We're all different and have different wants & needs!