Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Stash Mystery (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stash-mystery-t303871.html)

Sandra-P 03-27-2019 02:33 PM

Stash Mystery

So I organized my stash and found some fabric that I dont remember buying, cant figure out what I was going to do with it and I am so perplexed. Anyone else do this? Please say yes. Lol

mim 03-27-2019 02:44 PM

All the time -- I have some 20 year old peces that just now I have found a use for -- and a lot that I put on the "free table" at our quilt group. A lot of it gets used in the charity quilts the group makes for shelters and homes

Quiltah Mama 03-27-2019 02:48 PM

Oh absolutely, but that just means a trip to the LQS to get coordinates to go with it.....:D

Barb in Louisiana 03-27-2019 03:57 PM

A yes from me. I have gotten in the habit of either putting the pattern in the bag or box or writing the name of the pattern on a piece of paper and putting it in with the fabric. I even went so far as to making a sampler quilt blocks quilt and then couldn't remember what pattern I was using. Oh yes, I wasn't smart enough to print the pattern I was using. I just decided to put together what I had made & not worry about it.

Battle Axe 03-27-2019 04:12 PM

Somewhere I saw a template for each quilt. At the bottom were some squares for stapling snippet samples of the fabrics used. Name of pattern, size attempted, where purchased from. I've got to keep better records of what I do and were I bought something. The older I get the harder it is to remember. Maybe a plastic protector to actually include the pattern.

Jordan 03-27-2019 04:22 PM

I certainly have done that! Then I always wonder "what was I thinking"???!!!

peaceandjoy 03-27-2019 04:56 PM

If something is for a specific pattern, I fold the fabric(s) except the largest piece using the ruler-fold method, lay the pattern on top, then wrap the largest piece around the outside edges so they are together in bundle. I can still see the fabrics on the sides, so if I am desperate for a particular color, or want to know what that bundle is for, I can easily see it.

I had a pattern that I'd ripped from a magazine that was in CW's, which I love. It was shown using a striped fabric for the sashing, with a note that a similar stripe really made the pattern look more complex than it is. At some point on a shopping trip with friends, I found what I thought - think - will be a good choice for that. I'm telling you, for years (which I would put in caps for emphasis, lol), I'd see the pattern and not be able to find the fabric. Or I'd have the fabric in my hand and wonder where in heck I'd put that pattern. This went back and forth. Within the last year, I've been able to put them together! Woot!! Not starting it, though, as I have to finish at least 3 large Bonnie Hunter quilts - most at finished block stage - and bind two others before I start anything. Really. ;)

SillySusan 03-27-2019 05:19 PM

Oh, yes! Big time! I have a very disorganize mess of fabric stuck in boxes, bins, totes, closets... piles on floor, etc. I am trying frantically to use it up... and, yes, I have taken the pledge on the Moratorium thread here not to buy anything more until I use it all! What you stated is an almost daily event for me!

KalamaQuilts 03-27-2019 05:37 PM

that is why I don't plan quilts ahead. By the time I would get to them I'm sure I'd no longer be interested :) Or hate the fabrics!

Boston1954 03-27-2019 06:54 PM

I recently found twenty completed blocks. Oh yes. I have found a number of things I forgot I had.