Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Stash question: If you live in two homes, how do you divide your stash?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stash-question-if-you-live-two-homes-how-do-you-divide-your-stash-t243922.html)

mhollifiel 03-25-2014 05:41 PM

Stash question: If you live in two homes, how do you divide your stash??

My DH and I both have homes. We had one on the market but have decided to not to sell and enjoy them both instead. One is in the mountains (for summer and early fall) and the other is on the sound (for late fall to spring). I have a huge stash. So how do I split it up?? Ideas, please!

kristakz 03-25-2014 05:56 PM

I'd probably keep it all in one place and put together a bunch of projects to take to the other house each year. And maybe add some extra bits for "in case I run out". But most likely I'd just see it as a reason to increase my stash :) I can't imagine splitting it between the 2 permanently - I'd always want something that was at the other house, I'm sure.

Island Queen 03-25-2014 06:09 PM

I have two places and for any years kept material at both places. This summer I moved everything to the lake but kept a machine, cutting mat, rotary cutter, neutral thread and quilting bag with some rulers that I found I had duplicated. This allows me to take some classes here in town and do some projects during the week.
When I had a lot of my stash here at home, I found I needed some of it at the lake because I found that is where I had the time to sew.

Dolphyngyrl 03-25-2014 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by kristakz (Post 6644921)
I'd probably keep it all in one place and put together a bunch of projects to take to the other house each year. And maybe add some extra bits for "in case I run out". But most likely I'd just see it as a reason to increase my stash :) I can't imagine splitting it between the 2 permanently - I'd always want something that was at the other house, I'm sure.

I agree just take projects when you go

MaryMo 03-25-2014 06:46 PM

Great suggestion to keep your stash at one place and transporting projects as needed.

Lori S 03-25-2014 06:51 PM

I would agree to make one location the home base and make up the "kits" to take to the other location. Which ever location has the best shops might be where the home base is or vise versa.

Cybrarian 03-25-2014 08:16 PM

Do you spend more time at one place? Seems that would make it easier. Then take projects with some additional blenders etc for back up.

mhollifiel 03-25-2014 08:36 PM

These are great suggestions. The problem of needing something that's in the other place is sure to come up. I have a beautiful studio with completely shelved walk-in closet for fabrics in the mountain home. That's the one we are reopening.
Of course, we'll be spending more time in our sound "fishing shack" where space is limited and I sew in the living room. My ironing board sits in front of the fireplace there and my big cutting table lives on my screened in porch, LOL!
An additional facet of my dilemma is that the mountain home has the huge studio complete with design wall and all that storage BUT I sew more in my cramped fishing shack where storage is oh, so very limited.

What to do, what to do??

CookyIN 03-25-2014 09:40 PM

What a nice problem to have! I'd probably store everything at the mountain home and spend my time there making up "kits" to take to the waterside home. Pretty much plan on piecing at one home and designing, cutting, and finishing at the other.

Jennifer23 03-25-2014 11:13 PM

I'm envious of your problem. :)

I agree with storing everything at the nice studio in the mountain home, and making up kits to take to the "shack". How far apart are the two homes? Depending how many kits it would take for you to get through winter, would you be able to swap them out with ones from the mountain studio occasionally? I live in a pretty small apartment at the moment, and I'm finding it challenging having my extra supplies crowding me, so depending how you work, it might be nice to only have a couple kits at the waterfront place, and then pick up new ones when you're done the first ones.

Another idea to consider: hire/adopt me to look after the mountain home in the off season, and curate your quilt/fabric collection. Whatever bits you don't like to do, I'll take care of... ironing? cutting? squaring up blocks? I could even deliver kits to you at the shore when you need them. Maybe not what you were thinking, but do keep it in mind. :)