Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Stash Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stash-question-t309510.html)

Reader1 02-01-2020 06:09 PM

These responses have all been very interesting, from those who have large stashes to those who do not. I really appreciate the comments on organization. For me, a self and family and friends diagnosed OCD person, I will probably always limit stash. I have Christmas fabric from the quilt I made and I will use that for table runners and pot holder gifts. I also have a friend who loves scrappy quilts and I will make sure she gets mine. Now, if tomorrow I just put the computer down and square the blocks for the quilt I am ready to put together. I have watched you tubes, tutorials, and read so I understand what to do. But...Yikes! It is scary. I think it is the worst part even though I think most of the blocks are "close".

Dande413 02-01-2020 09:04 PM

I used to have a large fabric stash. Then we had a house fire. Thankfully no one was hurt. All my sewing/crafty stuff had to be thrown into a dumpster. 😩. This time when collecting fabric, etc. I’m going to try to be more fussy about what I buy and try not to go overboard. Same goes for patterns, rulers and notions. Until I run into a good sale.lol. Boy I sure miss my old stuff.

Claire123 02-01-2020 09:14 PM

Having a stash is one of the many truly enjoyable parts of quilting. You never really know when you are going to need the small leftover piece of a batik or the extra bit of a backing. As long as you can find it later and have space to store it, I don't think you will be overwhelmed.

MaryLeeR 02-01-2020 09:42 PM

Dande413, I’m so sorry about the fire! Take care!

toverly 02-02-2020 01:17 PM

I have a stash but not a large one. I realized when trying to do the Fabric Moratorium either last year or the year before that I had enough. In order to keep my stash under control, I have given myself permission to get rid of scraps at Guild. If I purchase fabric and make the quilt, it has served it's purpose, move it along.

joe'smom 02-02-2020 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Claire123 (Post 8356999)
Having a stash is one of the many truly enjoyable parts of quilting. You never really know when you are going to need the small leftover piece of a batik or the extra bit of a backing. As long as you can find it later and have space to store it, I don't think you will be overwhelmed.

I agree, it is a great feeling when you are happily working on a quilt, find that one of the fabrics you planned to use doesn't work and you can go to your shelves, find a substitute and keep working.

I am not currently dealing with my scraps. They are stuffed into plastic grocery bags and tucked in various corners of the sewing and bedrooms. I am telling myself I will sort through them someday and end my days making scrap quilts. The practical problem for now is that I don't have any space to set up an organized scrap system.

Rff1010 02-02-2020 04:04 PM

When I bought my sewing machine it came with the woman's stash. 3 garbage bags ....she didn't sew but worked for a LQS where they were encouraged to bring home the end of bolt. Some of it is lovely - but its all 15" wide.

As a new quilter I encourage your journey and it should be YOUR journey. Figure out your style. Dont invest more than you can afford in cash or space.

I don't groove on little scraps but plenty of people do. After only 2 quilts you are still figuring yourself out. You won't know the answer to the stash question for a few more quilts.

Murphy224 02-03-2020 02:05 AM

I attended a "Gathering of Quilters" event in my area on Saturday and the speaker brought up an interesting idea that had not occured to me. Have not calculated it myself but do regret my stash. I don't have a huge one and have not calculated the total yardage (not sure I want to LOL).
But her talk was on our Stash. She had a friend (who was skilled in this kind of thing) calculate how much her stash (broken down into yards) was worth today versus when she bought it. Taking into account the major price increases over the past years. And if she had invested the money instead of spending it on fabric, how much would she have in the bank?
But it is an intriguing thought when you think of the hundreds or thousands of dollars we have "invested" in not only fabric but all the accompanying "tools and notions" as well.
I had never thought of it that way, I have been blessed and spend without worrying what I could have done with that money instead. I had a good time with every quilting adventure or shopping trip and while I am now trying to use it up before I pass on, all money spent on my "hobby" was mine to spend, and I had enough to save for my future as well.
Murphy

maminstl 02-03-2020 06:10 AM

My general practice regarding stash is to buy what I like - colors and patterns that I am drawn too. I steer clear of "other peoples fabric" as it is almost never what I would choose. I don't have the space for fabric that is not my taste, and it ends up just sitting there. Free or estate sale/yard sale fabric for me is not even tempting. I do, however, haunt a few thrift stores for good quality sheets. Those are often my favorite backing fabrics.
I have a good friend who sews at my house a lot, and her taste is very different from mine. You can look at the color stacks on my shelves and know exactly what I bought or what she bought. She uses mine all the time - I rarely use hers.

Onebyone 02-03-2020 06:15 AM

And if she had invested the money instead of spending it on fabric, how much would she have in the bank?

This applies to most anything you spend money on. Especially kids. LOL