Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Stash Raid (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stash-raid-t309462.html)

juliasb 01-28-2020 09:12 AM

Stash Raid

My sister came over this morning to bring me a new bath robe she made for me from some of the penny a yard fleece that I bought last fall. She then was asking me about some smaller print fabrics that she could get from me to make gowns and clothes for NICU babies. So I said sure and I let her raid 1/2 yd pieces that are in one of my cupboards. She had a ball!
This reminded me of other stash raids that friends or other charity quilters have been into my stash for quilting projects. To one group I gave over 200 yards of fabric for charity quilts. Now I know I have a very large stash and for one reason or another, since I rarely buy fabric, it continues to grow.
How many of us allow stash raids from time to time?

leaha 01-28-2020 09:26 AM

yes and need to do a clean out again soon

Jingle 01-28-2020 03:41 PM

No one could raid my stash. I am trying to use it up myself.

SusieQOH 01-28-2020 05:07 PM

I go through my stash at least once a year and donate.
I got rid of a ton of fleece that I bought and had no idea why. It was quite awhile ago.
I don't use fleece but I must have had an idea at one time haha

pocoellie 01-28-2020 05:20 PM

Very rarely do I get rid of quilting fabric, but I was running out of room in the fabric drawers and out of space on where to keep the run overs, so I did a major de-stashing just about a week ago, also did the same with my quilting books, all went to our local Humane Society Thrift Store.

quiltingshorttimer 01-28-2020 06:57 PM

I've been trying to hit my stash more often and always go through and pull stuff I likely won't use I give to my guild's annual "garage sale". I have a friend who is trying to really downsize her stash so that she and Hubs can build a new house on property they have--the Hubs won't talk starting until she clears out some of it! LOL

LAF2019 01-28-2020 07:03 PM

I hope one day to have a stash large enough to get raided! and a quilt room large enough to hold it!

luvstoquilt 01-29-2020 04:13 AM

My stash is “raidable” to good friends always. I also donate fabric to a church group. Last year I donated about 50 yards and 19 quilt tops made from Strips I cut from left over fabrics I didn’t think I would use again. I made my own “jelly rolls” which I color coordinated. They were really pretty tops and the church group will add backs, binding and batting and donate them to a women’s shelter.

junegerbracht 01-29-2020 04:46 AM

I quilt with a group and every once in a while go through my stash (not often enough) and pull things to Putin our share table.

lindaschipper 01-29-2020 05:00 AM

I'm currently about to start down sizing my quilting "stuff" . Books will be first, and then fabric and templates, what doesn't sell will be donated to DAV. I plan to keep only what I can get done in a years time and then if still quilting will purchase fabric in smaller amounts to do a few more quilts.