Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Stash (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stash-t225026.html)

Girlfriend 07-02-2013 07:22 PM

Stash

2 Attachment(s)
OK, I think I get it. I've been collecting "stash" over the last year, for the first time in over 30 years of sewing. Everyone on the QB talks about their "stash". So, I went to Target, bought their $32.00 bookcase, came home, assembled it myself, and started collecting.

I found as I sat and sewed (right next to my "stash"), the fabrics were speaking to me. I was daydreaming about how this fabric would look with that, and imagining patterns in my head.

It was wonderful, when last weekend, I found this Flag Table Topper in Jenny's Quickly Quilting Magazine, and all I had to do was go to my "stash" and pick out the fabrics. I didn't have to go to the store - and I loved it.

In times past, I would pick out a pattern and then shop for the fabric. I could never figure out why quilters wanted a "stash" because the amounts one would buy would never be the required amounts by pattern.

I have to say, it was such a great feeling making this project without shopping :p

I'm still not sure how much to buy of each fabric I like, I've just been buying a yard of each. (How much do you buy?)

Here's my project - and my stash. Thanks for helping me decide I NEED STASH. LOL

[ATTACH=CONFIG]422295[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]422296[/ATTACH]

PS: I'm accused of "taking over the Master Bedroom". It's the only place I have to sew.

cwessel47 07-02-2013 07:28 PM

Yup, that's how to do it - and that's why we do. That bookcase gave you the perfect inspiration in your sewing room. How much to buy really depends on you and your budget. I'm a very scrappy girl. Rarely buy more than half a yard at a time - unless it's a remnant or I need borders or focus fabric. Looks like you are into scrappy from your project. Have fun! with this crazy obsession.

sewplease 07-02-2013 07:56 PM

Looks like you have the stash thing down perfectly, lol! It looks great! :-)

justflyingin 07-02-2013 08:51 PM

What a cute project and beautiful fabrics! Yes, it is very liberating to just decide on a project and be able to begin it right away. Keeping the stash under control is just as important as having one, however. :)

MadQuilter 07-02-2013 08:52 PM

That's a nice stash and a nice topper.

quiltsRfun 07-02-2013 09:01 PM

You have quite a stash there. And it's so organized.

DOTTYMO 07-02-2013 10:07 PM

If you buy much more you will need another bookcase .you stash is sooooo organised.

QuiltnLady1 07-02-2013 10:08 PM

Nice stash -- and a great project. I usually buy way too much, but if I think the fabric will be borders or binding for a full size quilt, I get at least 2 - 2.5 yards since I hate to piece borders that are all one fabric (now a piano key border is a whole other story :)). The rest depends on if I like it or love it (I have been known to buy 6 yards of love it).

landers1 07-03-2013 02:11 AM

Beautiful topper, great stash

mawluv 07-03-2013 02:18 AM

You now have STASH!!! there's no turning back and there's no cure!! Don't you love it?