Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Steam or not (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/steam-not-t262105.html)

tessagin 03-05-2015 09:20 AM

Another reason I prewash. I can't stand the smell of the fabric. Hit it with hot water and you are at risk for what may happen.

Originally Posted by bee3 (Post 7114374)
I used steam on the fabric from Joanns that I didn't wash first, and thats how I got this terrible chemical burn on my face, so be careful with steam on unwashed fabrics. It released a terrible gassy chemical odor throughout the house, and then I developed a terrible burn all over my face and inside my nose. That was in December, and my face is still a mess.

Friday1961 03-05-2015 11:24 AM

I love steam but stopped using it when piecing because I thought (and had read) it could stretch the fabric (even though I was usually careful to press not iron). Now I think I'm going back to it because I realized when quilting my last little quilt that the seams were not flat enough. At least I plan to steam my finished top before quilting it, being very careful not to distort it.

Rose S. 03-05-2015 11:40 AM

I'm a steamer, too. Just makes the seam flatter in my opinion. I don't prewash, and never had a problem.

caspharm 03-05-2015 11:58 AM

I only spritz water or Best Press with stubborn wrinkles. I do not put water in my irons, since I rarely use the steam feature. I prefer pressing with a dry iron.

annette1952 03-05-2015 03:56 PM

I always use & love steam but you have to press..not iron. If you slide the iron on the fabric, it will stretch. That is what I find anyways.

quiltedsunshine 03-05-2015 07:09 PM

I never use steam while piecing. I have found in the classes that I teach, that when students spray or steam their fabric, it warps. Try this experiment... lay out a half yard piece of fabric, and steam or spray it with water, then iron it. Some people can press it without warping it, and some people can't. I teach that you can use water or steam before you cut the pieces, but after you cut, the water will re-shape the fabric. That has been my experience, any way.

Also... I have watched with horror as I spritz a piece of excellent quality Moda fabric and watch it shrink up as I pass my iron over it. Good reason to steam press BEFORE you cut.

Sew Krazy Girl 03-08-2015 11:39 PM

I don't pre-wash and I rarely use steam. After pressing a piece I place it under a flat surface and allow it to cool before removing to continue building the block.

I made myself a small ironing surface from an old clip board. It's well padded and I keep it by my sewing machine. After pressing, I place the piece under the board and continue pressing other pieces. This applies pressure until its cool and ready to use. This works for me.

Tom W 03-09-2015 01:25 AM

I too am a steamer... I started my sewing life on tailored clothing and steam is used to shape garments and make nice flat seams. As so many have said, the trick is to press, not iron.

GrammaNan 03-10-2015 05:13 PM

I use so much starch on my fabric that I don't use steam EVER.

IAmCatOwned 03-10-2015 05:36 PM

It is totally up to you. Steam can sometimes cause more problems than not, but I'm a steamer. I do not use steam on curved edges, until the final assembly. It's made things wonky for me. I think a lot depends on HOW the individual works. if you are learning, best not to steam at first.