Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Steam a Seam to Bind (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/steam-seam-bind-t82032.html)

twospoiledhuskies 12-10-2010 09:34 PM

I needed to bind my quilt and mail out for Christmas. I was going to hand sew to the back and well..... time marches on. What to do???? I used 1/4" Steam A Seam to adhere the binding to the back. Didn't use 1 pin. Can I say, "Quick and Fantastic". Corners turned out perfect. SID on the front and binding DONE. This will be my method for all quilts going foward (except if entered in a show of course).

Has anyone completed theirs this way? Did you have the same success?

sueisallaboutquilts 12-10-2010 09:49 PM

I haven't used it. Do you fuse it and then stitch it down??
Edit- you already answered, sorry!
How do you know it's lined up? I'm tired, lol

trif 12-10-2010 11:06 PM

I have never thought of doing that, I may give it a try. I have used stitch witchery(called something else now, like heat n bond) to hem pants in a hurry when I was young. What a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

trif 12-10-2010 11:06 PM

I have never thought of doing that, I may give it a try. I have used stitch witchery(called something else now, like heat n bond) to hem pants in a hurry when I was young. What a great idea. Thanks for sharing. How thin of strips did you use?

lalaland 12-11-2010 01:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by twospoiledhuskies
I needed to bind my quilt and mail out for Christmas. I was going to hand sew to the back and well..... time marches on. What to do???? I used 1/4" Steam A Seam to adhere the binding to the back. Didn't use 1 pin. Can I say, "Quick and Fantastic". Corners turned out perfect. SID on the front and binding DONE. This will be my method for all quilts going foward (except if entered in a show of course).

Has anyone completed theirs this way? Did you have the same success?

I did that on an octagon table topper several years ago and it turned out perfect as well. I did not stitch it down but I noticed it is starting to lift a bit so I'm going to go back and run a decorative stitch over it. Here's a picture of the toppers, worked great on all the corners.

The Upper Left Topper Got the Steam A Seam Binding
[ATTACH=CONFIG]141371[/ATTACH]

twospoiledhuskies 12-11-2010 03:15 AM

Hi, My binding was 2 1/4", so when I turned it over it was a little over my stitch line. When a ironed it down it layed very flat and straight. SID and it sewed over all the back fabric (so now it's extra strong).

This is for a friend of mine who has 3 huskies. I know the dogs will be all over this. I used Kona cotton for the binding so that it would hold up longer.

Long story short, i love how well it worked.

Hope you have a wonderful holiday ;)

cjk 12-11-2010 05:24 AM

it does work well but it will start to come lose with time. And the more you wash it the sooner it will come lose.

amma 12-11-2010 06:07 AM

I glue baste mine down, no pinning for me either :D:D:D

Terryl 12-11-2010 07:47 AM

I like the steam a seam better than the glue and use it often, I always do a decorative stitch to secure it and as long as I don't tell, no one even knows I used steam a seam.
Makes getting the binding done quicker.