Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Stencil + Pounce worthwhile? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stencil-pounce-worthwhile-t227635.html)

romille 08-09-2013 09:49 PM

Stencil + Pounce worthwhile?

1 Attachment(s)
I am nearly done piecing my second quilt together. My first quilt was a baby quilt with appliqué blocks, which I did stitch in the ditch with. This quilt is a basket weave lattice lap quilt, and I am contemplating trying a meandering stipple stitch to quilt it.

I of course will make some little practice sandwiches first, and if I am terrible at it I will just go back to stitch in the ditch until I get good enough at FMQ to try it on a real quilt.

i am wondering if a stencil and pounce are worth buying, or if I should just go for it without a guide. What do you guys suggest?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]429407[/ATTACH]

Misty's Mom 08-09-2013 10:30 PM

I'd go without a guide, but practice on something else first, welcome to the board.

Reb 08-09-2013 10:35 PM

My perspective

Absolutly beautiful! I have been just practicing FMQ myself for a quilt I'm working on. So we are at about the same place. Try FMQ and see how you do with a meander. I had a real hard time and thought I'll never get this. (I have a Bernina 440QE with BSR.). I haven't gotten good enough for this quilt. I asked questions on QB and most replies were "practice, practice, practice" and "It's worth it!". From what I've done I'd recommend no to the pounce and stencil. I'm hoping you catch right on to it. Good luck!

carolaug 08-10-2013 12:33 AM

I agree with Reb. I have tried pounce and stencil...I would also say no. meandering would look nice and so much easier to do.

QuiltE 08-10-2013 03:20 AM

Dramatically beautiful! :)

I think there's a time and a place for a stencil and pounce.
However, for this quilt the stencil design, let the fabrics "strut their stuff"!!!
A simple meander or a loopy-de-loop would work fine.

And yes ... practice! practice!! practice!!! :)

sandy l 08-10-2013 03:33 AM

No answer for your question, just want to say that you have a beautiful quilt.

nanna-up-north 08-10-2013 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by sandy l (Post 6225833)
No answer for your question, just want to say that you have a beautiful quilt.

Me, too. I'm wondering where you got this pattern..... love it.

hcarpanini 08-10-2013 04:38 AM

I have been longarm quilting for nine years, one of my go to tools is a stencil and pounce. So many patterns available and grids. Look into Pam Clark's stencils for a million different options. Go for it and have fun!

Stitchnripper 08-10-2013 05:16 AM

I did not like the stencil and pounce method at all. for me, it was messy, even with patting the chalk on, and, it rubbed off when I tried to rearrange the quilt.

Weezy Rider 08-10-2013 05:35 AM

I do use a pounce. I don't like all-over quilting, so I will FMQ old pattern on plain squares. I mix straight, SITD, and FMQ as I think the quilt calls for.

I need a tool that will perforate computer paper. I prefer to do the simple border shapes on the computer and resize as necessary. It's a major pain to use the point of a seam ripper to perforate the paper. The Dritz pattern tracer almost does it, but not quite.