Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Stencil storage (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stencil-storage-t284823.html)

117becca 12-30-2016 03:26 PM

i sew in the basement and the ceiling is open. I have a curtain rod - it can be a dowel rod, whatever you have handy hanging from the ceiling w/ cuphooks/j-hooks. I use cafe rings to hook the stencils on to the rod. It slides easily and i can see what i have. I do have the stencils arranged by size - small to large.

The huge stencils are on a peg board.

NJ Quilter 12-30-2016 04:52 PM

I use a belt hanger similar to Tartan's loop except it is designed to be hung by a typical loop/hook at the top. I hang it on a peg holder on the back of the door to my sewing room. I want to think less than $10 at one of the big box stores in their closet/storage sections.

Kas 12-30-2016 11:44 PM

Mine are on several rings....can you say "junkie"? I have them organized by borders, small blocks, med.blocks, large blocks, backgrounds, double wedding ring centers, and original stencils I've had to make for specific quilts when I couldn't find what I was looking for commercially. They used to be in a drawer, but I had to take them all out to find what I was looking for.

Jan in VA 12-31-2016 01:28 PM

Mine all lie flat on a pull out shelf in the armoire where I store fabric. The armoire was designed as a TV or as a computer desk, thence the shelf.

Jan in VA

lindaschipper 01-01-2017 04:23 AM

I use an artist portfolio case.....they come in different sizes and are great.

bneuen 01-01-2017 04:28 AM

I use a pant clip hanger for my stencils. It holds the stencils nicely and then I can hang it. The clips on the hanger are close enough that most stencils can be secured by both clips.

quilterpurpledog 01-01-2017 05:20 AM

Great thread because I needed new ideas. I really like to use stencils and have a fairly large number. Currently, they are stored in large box bottom (cut down to about three inches) and stored under my sewing desk. However, they are not easy to sort through when I want to use one. I think I will try the ring method to see if it will work for me.

AZ Jane 01-01-2017 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 (Post 7729116)
I drove a nail into the inside of my storage closet that holds them all through the hole in the top. They are in a place that they can not get scraped or rumpled. For smaller ones, I have a little drawer

On the wall behind the door!!

rj.neihart 01-01-2017 08:14 AM

Tartan - excellent idea! Thank you for sharing this one!

JustAbitCrazy 01-01-2017 11:26 PM

Mine are hanging on the wall on many Command hooks---all across the wall, sorted by size. Before I hang them, I trace each one onto a piece of paper, which is then put into a plastic sleeve and into a notebook, alphabetically by name. The notebook is divided into sections, like blocks, borders, etc. This way I can just flip through the pages of the notebook to see what I have. The corresponding stencil is easy to find because they are hanging on the wall in the same order they are in the notebook, from left to right.