Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Stencils...out of style? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stencils-out-style-t279750.html)

Watson 06-19-2016 02:21 PM

Stencils...out of style?

I went to a quilt show and did not find ONE quilting stencil for sale at the entire show.

Are they that out of fashion? I guess I'm behind the times.

I just found it really odd.

Watson

marge954 06-19-2016 02:58 PM

That's a good question. I don't believe I've seen any stencils at my local quilting store but the next time I go I will definitely look! I have quite a few but find I tend to use the same two or three for my border work.

Jane Quilter 06-19-2016 03:00 PM

ive seen them , and I order them on line too

meyert 06-19-2016 03:05 PM

I love quiltingcreations.com. I don't go to many quilt shows, but the last one I did attend had a big wall of stencils

yel 06-19-2016 03:39 PM

I like the full line ones.....but have some others i like as well there is always a booth full at the paducha show in the rotary building ...i think it is jd stencils

117becca 06-19-2016 03:56 PM

There's a store about an hour from where I live that has an awesome selection. When they go to the local quilt shows, I always pick some up to build up my own stash. I've learned what I like. I am finishing up a quilt that I actually had to drive to the store w/ my quilt to get something because I didn't have anything that would work.

But, to answer someone's question, I don't find quilt shows cater to hand-quilters at all. :(

elnan 06-19-2016 04:04 PM

Not that I've been to a lot of quilt shows, but I have never seen stencils for sale at the shows I have been to. The ones I have were picked up at JoAnns, purchased online, or at thrift stores.

QuiltingBear 06-19-2016 04:11 PM

Free motion quilting is all the rage now... additionally stencils seem to be very limited in their use... don't get me wrong, there are a LOT of beautiful stencils... problem is, how do you scale them to fit your quilt if you do anything non-standard? Fine if you want to do an elaborate border or an all-over design that can be a pain to do freehand. My main complaint is that I don't want to spend a bunch of cash for a tool I'll use once maybe twice... if your guild has a library of loaners then it makes sense to add to the collective.

quiltingshorttimer 06-19-2016 05:37 PM

I do have some stencils (I long arm) but find that I don't use them as much as free motion or ruler work. Why? Well, it takes a lot of time to mark the stencils--plus then you have to get the markings off--which when I do use stencils I will use either chalk, the F & P ceramic pencil (LOVE this), or a blue or purple water soluble pen (don't use these on customer quilts unless we've talked about it first as they HAVE to completely immerse to make sure it gets out of bat and back, not just top). also, it seems like lots of stencils are made for handquilters or are at least not continuous, which is what is preferable with long arm quilting. What I do use often is Pam Clarke's (and similar) stencils that give registration markings to use with FMQ or ruler work.
I've found good stencils at the Stencil Co. booth at several shows--check out their website. If you still don't find what you want, just google stencils and long arm quilting supplies.

tessagin 06-19-2016 06:52 PM

I have some and have made a few. I believe I have about 9-10.