Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Step Away From the Quilt!! (Picture Added - Page 3) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/step-away-quilt-picture-added-page-3-a-t132167.html)

janRN 06-22-2011 08:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
OK you all asked for it. Finally got a pic:

thepolyparrot 06-22-2011 08:46 AM

Oh goodness - no wonder you're so disappointed - the piecing is so precise and neat, you must have worked hard on this.

I think the ones who've suggested tea-dying might be onto something.

You might also use white fabric paint with solid ¼" or ½" stars. Just mask off the areas you want to stamp and put the stars fairly close together. The areas in between them will still look pink from a distance, but the overall effect will be "white."

I hope you get some fun out of this, whatever way you go with it.

jarenie 06-22-2011 09:26 AM

When I have this issue. I TEA die the quilt top and all the color take on a cream base. The quilt now has semetry and belongs together.
Jarenie

jarenie 06-22-2011 09:27 AM

Tea die it. It will take the pink to a soft cream.

wolfkitty 06-22-2011 09:54 AM

I think part of it is a case of not being what you expected when finished that makes you feel so bad. If you tea dye it, it will be beautiful, a more antique look with the cream background. The quilting on it is excellent! Thank you for sharing the picture! You do nice work!

Quilter7x 06-22-2011 09:57 AM

I really like it the way it is, but I like the idea of tea dying it also. Very pretty either way! :thumbup:

Maurene 06-22-2011 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Maurene
Maybe red fabric paint? I did that once with a red white and blue quilt - I used a red and white gingham that read pink from just 10 feet away. I took a star squilt course from Diane MacLeod Shink, (Dimac.com) a quilt evaluator 10 yrs ago - she uses a 2' and a 10' rule before every step - maybe a 20' - 30' rule should be added to that.

Hmmm - I see that red fabric paint would not work with this, but the Tea dye idea could be the answer - it could become a tan/orange, not the desired patriotic quilt intended, but quite lovely and the quilting is wonderful. Could be a good excuse to start and new patriotic quilt!

jpthequilter 06-22-2011 11:50 AM

Hang it in a narrow place, like a hallway! Or put on a bed in a very small bedroom!
Seriously. we all have had that happen, so if you can't stand it, perhaps you might like to give it to some veterans organization, perhaps for a raffle quilt for some good cause?
Jeannie

jpthequilter 06-22-2011 12:00 PM

Coffee as a dye makes a little bit darker beige, because it has more darker pigment in it. It will dye white to about the color of this background.
Do you have a scrap to try a sample? Just dip it in your leftover breakfast coffee. Dry and iron!

Katts 14 06-22-2011 01:14 PM

If everybody says tea dying is the why to go, it's such a pretty quilt don't let it upset you.