Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sticker Shock, took sewing machine in for maintenance (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sticker-shock-took-sewing-machine-maintenance-t182106.html)

be a quilter 03-10-2012 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 5042930)
wow! makes me appreciate my service guy even more! he charges me $40 for a cleaning/tune up- only extra is if parts are needed for my Viking....if i was quoted over $100 i think i would learn to do it myself- quick.
i do take good care of my machine- bought the little vacuum attachment kit so i can vacuum it all out frequently= seldom have to take it in & he always comments on how well it is maintained- maybe thats part of the in-expense- but i think that's what he charges everyone.

May I ask where you got the little vacuum kit? I have been trying to find one and no body seems to know what I am talking about. Thanks!!

kuntryquilter 03-10-2012 04:15 AM

Considering the amount of money I paid for each of my machines, I think it is well worth the bucks for a good service/cleaning. I want to keep my machines in good working order, so I don't have to buy any more in my life-time.

judi wess 03-10-2012 04:23 AM

I think someone saw you comming. I was quoted $50 for a major cleaning and when I picked it up at the LQS the ticket was only $25. Hmmm more fabric. My machine had never been professionally cleaned in the 6 years I owned it. I however always oil the shuttle and brush out the dust bunnies when I sit down to sew.

winia 03-10-2012 04:40 AM

Does the price matter if it's an electronic sewing machine as opposed to a computerized one?

luvstitches 03-10-2012 04:51 AM

Wow! My husband charges 50 dollars for cleaning and repair if he doesn't have to buy any parts.

celwood 03-10-2012 04:54 AM

I paid that amount when I took my Brother ULT in and paid double that when I took my 6 inch embroidery machine. I had no choice since I had to drive 1.5 hrs and they are the only ones around this area.

Elaine433 03-10-2012 05:12 AM

My Pfaff 7550 that I have had since 1995 was never taken in for service. I make sure I clean it throughly and oil it pretty often. After finishing up my 4th quilt doing FMQ on the machine, I noticed it sounded awful. I brought it in for service to the only person I know who really knows how to fix these things. The bill came to $124. I was in shock mostly because
I didn't think it would be so high. I know that FMQ on the machine really puts the machine through its paces and does a number on it but still. All in all, if I divide that $124 by the number of years that I have had and used the machine, I guess it isn't that bad.
I would love to find a smallish long arm that I could set into a table and use just for FMQ. That way, I would only use my machine for piecing. Another dream for when I strike it rich.

Highmtn 03-10-2012 06:39 AM

To be honest... had I know that the maintenance on a computer machine could be so high, I would not have gotten one. I have a Bernina 440 and it's going on 4 yrs old with no problems. It's actually been a complete gem to sew on. My hub (a retired diesel mechanics instructor) likes to take it apart and clean it up, but I've HEARD that IF the mother board goes out... you're in DEEP $$$ TROUBLE.

I will STAY on my search for a well used Bernina 930 until I'm 100 yrs old....lol

Lady Diana 03-10-2012 06:40 AM

I clean my machines with the vacuum attachment, a drop of oil on the wick. Take out bobbin case and also clean the tension disk, use car wax on the bed of the machine to deter scratches and help with FMQ. I would never take in a machine for a costly cleaning if there was not something wrong mecahnically. I have computerized machines that are 30 years old and have never been to the shop. I have a family of Janomes that have never had problems. "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"......Care for your machine, clean it routinely and no costly trips to the shop. If it stops running, is out of time, or a feature is truly broken (thread cutter), then take it in to have the part replaced. If it isn't stitching properly, it is most likely user error....threaded wrong, thread out of take up lever, tension needs adjustment or bad needle. Why would you spend all that money when there is nothing wrong with your machine? Save the cash for more fabric! Yeah!
D in TX

jeaninmaine 03-10-2012 06:51 AM

They have the little vacuum kit here for ten dollars.

http://www.amazon.com/Micro-Attachme.../dp/B006BY1AEY

I read somewhere that you shouldn't use the canned air on the bobbin area of computer machines because it blows all the lint INTO your machine and computerized parts are supposed to be kept dust free to work right.