Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Stippling (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stippling-t118365.html)

mombeth07 04-23-2011 06:13 PM

OK!! Ladies and professional quilters, I am a newbie at this quilting and stippling. I participated in the pinwheel quilt in Feb. which I have already got borders on and ready to try stippling on it. I have a Brother Innv2800D so what foot the walking foot or darning foot and what do I do my stitch length and width. Any other suggestion would be helpful PLEASE feel welcome to let me know.

mimom 04-23-2011 06:17 PM

darning foot and put your feed dogs down, get yourself a pair of gardening gloves with the little gripper dots on them. With the feed dogs down you are controling the lenth of the stitch, start out slow and dont move your fabric too fast or you will wind up with long stitches. Good luck and enjoy it.

TonnieLoree 04-23-2011 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by mimom
darning foot and put your feed dogs down, get yourself a pair of gardening gloves with the little gripper dots on them. With the feed dogs down you are controling the lenth of the stitch, start out slow and dont move your fabric too fast or you will wind up with long stitches. Good luck and enjoy it.

What she said! I don't change my stitch length one bit.

Lori S 04-23-2011 06:19 PM

Use the darning foot, lower your feed dogs. I get the best results taking the stitch lenght and width both to Zero.
Do a pratice square with some backing , batting and a top layer to make the little adjustments in tension, to also check your needle . I get good results with a top stitch needle.

clynns 04-23-2011 06:31 PM

Don't be in a big hurry to get it done. Take your time and your stitches become more uniform. Also, take your curves or circles slow. I have a tendency to want to hurry around the arc and then the stitches look too big. The only thing that improves your stitch control is practice and lots of it.

connie d 04-23-2011 06:39 PM

Hi there and welcome from Florida. I think the darning foot and the gloves, which you can get from your local hardware store. I would definitely practice first. Good luck. :):):)

Colorful Quilter 04-23-2011 06:46 PM

Practice, practice,practice.....and Happy Easter

jemma 04-24-2011 01:50 AM

practice piece first-----go for it

ckcowl 04-24-2011 01:55 AM

start with a small practice piece to get the feel for moving your fabric around under the foot with consistancy. i don't change my stitch length but you may want to adjust yours depending on how your practice piece goes- if your stitches look too small- lengthen your stitch length, of your stitches are real big- shorten the length. practice good body mechanics, try to relax your shoulders---and breath.
in no time at all you will be quilting up a storm!

justlooking 04-24-2011 03:09 AM

Practice, practice and practice! Good luck.