Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Stippling.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stippling-t54622.html)

knlsmith 07-16-2010 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by katsewnsew

Originally Posted by Rachel
the first time I did it, I bought a stippling stencil and marked the quilt. It gave me a good idea of the feel of it and turned out great. I'd recommend that until you're more comfortable with it.

I agree. The stencil helps a lot and Practice is the most important thing. And taking your time. :-D

So what would one use to mark the quilt with? A chalk pencil? I have some of those.

Stitchnripper 07-16-2010 05:11 AM

Lots of practice (I'm still working on this part) and I set the stitch length to zero. Machine doesn't drop feed dogs so I use the supreme slider over the feed dogs and that works pretty well. On a cheapy Brother machine.

bejay28 07-16-2010 09:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok here is a picture of my experiance with Free Motion..... AUGGGG!!!!!!!

katsewnsew 07-16-2010 09:25 AM

Not bad. The first time I tried it, it was in the morning after about 3 cups coffee!!! Needless to say, pedal to the metal and off I went!!! What a mess! I couldn't stop! No more coffee before I stipple, that is for sure!

katsewnsew 07-16-2010 09:26 AM

Oops, forgot to answer your question, I use the Pounce Pad. Or for free hand drawing, I use chalk.

bejay28 07-16-2010 09:28 AM

It appears to be very bumpie to me.....maybe need to flatten it out as I sew....thats what I am trying now....it is looking a little better.....hmmmm....

kwiltkrazy 07-16-2010 09:28 AM

It looks pretty good, you're not having any tension problems, you just need practice, it does get better, and easier with practice. Yes, you have to flatten it as you go, but it will become second nature with practice.

knlsmith 07-16-2010 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by bejay28
Ok here is a picture of my experiance with Free Motion..... AUGGGG!!!!!!!

I agree, it looks like you need to hold it tighter. do you have the machiner gloves? If not a pair of rubber kitchen gloves works too or even latex gloves (all 3 are cheap and worth it) really helps a BUNCH

knlsmith 07-16-2010 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by katsewnsew
Oops, forgot to answer your question, I use the Pounce Pad. Or for free hand drawing, I use chalk.

Thank you. I think I will go with the chalk pencil since I already some of those.

Ok, stupid question, well 2 actually. Can you iron the chalk? and does it just wash out? I wash all quilts after they are done.

and I don't drink coffee, but WINE sure creates awesome results! lol

GrammaNan 07-16-2010 03:57 PM

I learned from another thread on the board to turn my machine. I move the right side of my machine to the back. This way, I have complete freedom to move my fabric right and left. It felt like I was trying to write with the wrong hand for awhile, but after I got used to it, it is the only way I can FMQ now.