Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Stitch in the ditch question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stitch-ditch-question-t119919.html)

JudyMN 04-30-2011 03:02 PM

I have never stitched in the ditch and I'm wondering if I should change thread colors when I go from one piece to the next. My quilt is a French braid with several pieces "blending" from white to green to black. Thank you for your help.

Question two: Is there another better method of quilting a French Braid than stitch in the ditch?

Lori S 04-30-2011 03:19 PM

When I stitch in the ditch I use invisable thread , smoke colored. That way I do not have to change thread colors.
A few tips for invisable thread.
- Use a cone holder to allow the thread to relax before the tension disks
- Practice on a scrap quilt sandwich to make any tension adjustments
- Use regular thread in the bobbin ( you can use invisable , but of you never used it before .. best to use the regular thread)
- Some use a metallic needle , but get the best results using a new smaller needle
- A walking foot
- Use a high quality thread , the stuff sold in the rack that comes on a cardboard then covered in plastic is always a problem for me. I did not ever think I could use invisable till I found a better quality.

S D G 04-30-2011 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S
When I stitch in the ditch I use invisable thread , smoke colored. That way I do not have to change thread colors.
- Use regular thread in the bobbin ( you can use invisable , but of you never used it before .. best to use the regular thread)
- Some use a metallic needle , but get the best results using a new smaller needle
- A walking foot
- Use a high quality thread , the stuff sold in the rack that comes on a cardboard then covered in plastic is always a problem for me. I did not ever think I could use invisable till I found a better quality.

:thumbup:

jmabby 04-30-2011 04:16 PM

- A walking foot

Have you tried Sulky or Gutterman, if so, how does it work, what brand do you use??

Izaquilter 04-30-2011 04:36 PM

Have you possibly thought about a varigated green? I've never tried it but was just wondering how it would work. I myself use an off white or a very light tan when I can't match up the thread & fabric. Once you have stitched in the ditch it's not going to be that noticable. Only if my Mother were alive to be your quilt inspector!

craftoholic 04-30-2011 04:39 PM

I use the Sulky and love it.....

Lori S 04-30-2011 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by jmabby

- A walking foot

Have you tried Sulky or Gutterman, if so, how does it work, what brand do you use??

I found two that work really well one is YLI Brand , which I got from HomeSew the other is from Clotilde ( they carry the clear and the smoke color) I really like the smoke color from Clotilde is has less shine and unless the fabric is white , that is the color I use.
The Gutterman I had mixed results , one spool was great the next one , was REALLY bad .. loaded with so much static the thread wrapped around everything... ALOT. I was given the Clotilde , so once I got to a good one , I did not try the Sulky, maybe someone here can speak to how that thread performs.

Nana2Sew 04-30-2011 05:12 PM

I used YLI invisible thread for stitch in the ditch and was happy with the results. Then I discovered Botton Line from Superior Threads #617. I use it for all my machine quilting. This colour blends with every colour fabric. I use it in the needle and the bobbin.

TonnieLoree 04-30-2011 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by S D G

- A walking foot

:thumbup:

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Kat Sews 04-30-2011 05:51 PM

There are other ways of quilting French braid quilts, don't know if they are better. One I saw recently had vines and flowers quilted on each side of the valleys, it was nice.