Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Stitch in the ditch: Which thread to use? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stitch-ditch-thread-use-t264378.html)

mjpEncinitas 04-23-2015 11:32 AM

Stitch in the ditch: Which thread to use?

Which thread do you use for stitching in the ditch? Normally I just use a regular thread with color that matches but that won't work this time. I am going to be quilting an around the world quilt and there are many different colors in it. From white to pink to dark green and it doesn't make sense to change thread color that often. Is it worth it to buy this Superior product?: Monopoly Reduced-Sheen Clear 2,200 yd. Spool Are there any other brands of thread, that have something similar? I'm not sure if any of the LQS have the superior product.

I did a search on the quilting board and didn't see this topic but could have missed it.
Thanks.

Prism99 04-23-2015 11:47 AM

I have used YLI nylon monofilament thread (.003mm) in top and bobbin. Works fine. Some people think nylon melts and poly doesn't, so I used my hottest iron temperature on both. My YLI nylon monofilament did not melt or change color or become brittle; looked just the same after using a hot iron (Rowenta) on it for a couple of minutes. Some people think nylon becomes brittle over time. Maybe the old type of nylon thread did, but I don't think the YLI monofilament does. I have some older quilts that it was used on, and there has been no change in the thread.

I tested the Superior Monopoly (not reduced-sheen version, though) on some machine applique to see if I would like it better than the YLI nylon monofilament. It was not as invisible as the YLI, so I saw no reason to change. It would work fine for SID, I'm sure, but I think it ends up being more expensive than YLI. I bought a cone of the YLI many years ago and still have lots of it left. If you decide to compare, it's pretty easy to figure out cost per yard and compare prices. The reduced-sheen aspect of the Superior thread might be nice for applique where the thread is very visible around the edges, but I don't think it's necessary for SID where the stitches are more hidden in the fabric. For SID, reduced-sheen would not be a deciding factor for me.

Edit: Some people have problems using nylon monofilament top and bobbin. I think this is usually because they are not aware of how the machine needs to be set up. Nylon is stretch, so top tension needs to be reduced a lot. The bobbin needs to be wound slowly so the nylon thread doesn't get stretched as it is loaded onto the bobbin. Also, all bobbins need to be under-filled to make sure that they nylon doesn't distort the edges of the bobbin. Metal bobbins are okay with just a little under-filling. Plastic bobbins aren't as strong and should be filled only 3/4ths full.

ManiacQuilter2 04-23-2015 11:54 AM

I always have been told NOT to use monofilament in the bobbin if you are using it on the top. Wish you had posted a photo of the quilt top.

Jeanne S 04-23-2015 12:44 PM

I usually use a light grey or light yellow as it blends in well with most anything except dark colors. I just pick the most neutral that blends well.

Prism99 04-23-2015 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 7174514)
I always have been told NOT to use monofilament in the bobbin if you are using it on the top. Wish you had posted a photo of the quilt top.

Just wondering what would be the reason for that? I learned to use monofilament from Harriet Hargrave's books. She has used it in both top and bobbin for many years.

PenniF 04-23-2015 04:12 PM

Lots of folks use it, but i'm not a fan of the monofilament threads. I used it once to quilt a very colorful quilt - i found it to be "scratchy" once the quilting was done. What about using a muli-colored thread. That was my solution on the next one i did. You can find them in "rainbow" type colors.
Best of good luck, whatever you decide.

M.Elizabeth 04-23-2015 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by PenniF (Post 7174724)
Lots of folks use it, but i'm not a fan of the monofilament threads. I used it once to quilt a very colorful quilt - i found it to be "scratchy" once the quilting was done. What about using a muli-colored thread. That was my solution on the next one i did. You can find them in "rainbow" type colors.
Best of good luck, whatever you decide.

I agree and after several washings my first quilt is not holding up too well.

Dina 04-23-2015 06:00 PM

I do a lot of SID, and I would lean towards a light gray, if I were you. You might try it on a sample of your leftovers? I think you might be surprised at how much the thread doesn't show up. I used the clear plastic thread on a quilt a few years ago, and it was okay, but it was scratchy feeling. I didn't put it in the bobbin though....I think it was someone here on the QB who suggested that. It wasn't hard to sew with, I just didn't like it enough to use it again.

Dina

mjpEncinitas 04-24-2015 09:44 AM

Thanks folks. I will think about this. I may actually change thread colors as the fabric colors range from white to pink to dark green. Or I may use a light green color. I'll post a picture when I'm done

Onebyone 04-24-2015 11:05 AM

Superior monofilament thread is poly and will not stretch and is very soft. Nylon stretches causing tension and breakage. When I want a strong thread that will blend and not show I use silk thread. Either a neutral or light gray color. Silk is very thin and strong. I use it top and bottom.