Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   stitch regulator vs. speed control (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stitch-regulator-vs-speed-control-t100526.html)

Jeananne 02-17-2011 08:17 AM

I'm going to purchase a GMQ Pro frame with a Juki 98, which would be better to have, the stitch regulator or speed control? The package I am looking at has the speed control, would it be worth the extra money to upgrade to the regulator? Thanks for any imput!

SuzyQ 02-17-2011 08:30 AM

Don't have either so I'm no help there ... just wanted to say Congrats!

Susan

PaperPrincess 02-17-2011 09:44 AM

Have you done any fmq on your domestic machine? Do you slow down & speed up as you stitch your design because you move the fabric slower in trickier spots? Because you don't have your foot on the pedal to control the speed, the stitch regulator will automatically sense that you have slowed the movement of your machine and respond accordingly. The speed control just keeps your speed constant no matter how you move the machine, which may result in uneven stitch length. If you go with the speed control, you need to ask what it does when you stop moving. It's my understanding that different brands do different things.

DebbyT 02-17-2011 10:35 AM

In September I purchased a Grace II frame with a Brother 1500s machine. I added the Grace Sure Stitch which is a dual function stitch regulator. You can set the stich size and the speed adjusts with how fast you move the machine. I can't imagine doing with out either.

scowlkat 02-17-2011 11:45 AM

How confident are you in doing FMQ? If you have experience, I would say go with what it comes with. If you have doubts and can afford to upgrade, go for it!

Charming 02-17-2011 11:52 AM

I asked a lot about this when i went to Road to CA quilt show, and basically heard the same from every quilter i met "get the stitch regulator" it is worth the investment i guess, and many quilters regret not buying it as a package with the machine or say they have difficulty without it. So i am getting one by the end of the month with the machine.

Jeananne 02-17-2011 06:21 PM

I have done alot of quilts on my machine...after researching I am leaning more and more on the regulator, I rent a Gammill from a longarmer and really love the regulation.....just gotta do it I guess!

Ripped on Scotch 02-17-2011 07:00 PM

Stitch regulator. For sure! Speed control is good if you are completely constant in all moments. Most tend to go faster on curves and you can see the difference if you are looking. I like the regulator to because I stop and look ahead to make a plan.

clair 02-17-2011 08:15 PM

Stitch regulator. my long arm is old and I have speed control but my friend has la with sr and it is sooooo much better .My 2cents thats all. Good luck

natalieg 02-17-2011 08:20 PM

What regulator works on a Brother 1500?