Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Which stitch? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stitch-t204133.html)

JamieCMilligan 10-24-2012 11:48 AM

Which stitch?

1 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone,

I am a new quilter, 21 years old and I'm trying to teach myself how to quilt. I have attached an image of the quilt I am working on (it's a car seat quilt) for my God child that is due this December! Please let me know whether you think I should use a stitch in the ditch technique or an all over stipple stitch. Thanks for your input! It's much appreciated!

Jamie C.

Stitchnripper 10-24-2012 11:52 AM

Great looking quilt!! Have you ever stippled? If not, you can make some practice sandwiches and see if you like it. Stitch in the ditch is a good option too.

needles3thread 10-24-2012 11:55 AM

Stitch in the ditch is one of the harder patterns if you are using a long arm machine.
Otherwise, either is good.

Tashana 10-24-2012 11:56 AM

Either way it is going to be lovely. If you have never done either of them, try whichever appeals more to you. When I started I could not stitch in the ditch to save my life. I think that is why I like free motiong quilting so much. Good luck and great quilt!

JamieCMilligan 10-24-2012 12:03 PM

Thanks for the input everyone! I've been working hard on this, and I'm trying to finish it by Sunday. I have been practicing the stipple stitch quite a bit, and I'm slowly getting better (I hope!) it's just daunting to me to free-hand the whole quilt.

Any advice on the stipple stitch for a newbie?

Thanks again!
Jamie C.

batikmystique 10-24-2012 12:04 PM

Welcome to QB! Very nice quilt. How about a combination...stitch in the ditch along the cross hatches, and a simple flower design in each square? Please post a pic when you're done. :o

wishfulthinking 10-24-2012 12:20 PM

If you want to finish quickly, I'd vote for a largish stipple. A small stipple will take more time and make the quilt stiffer.

Murphy1 10-24-2012 12:28 PM

I agree, a larger stipple would be great. I love the way baby quilts look after they have been stippled and washed. Your quilt is lovely and the mom will always think of you when she uses this quilt. I have a quilt made for my son 40 years ago, way before quilting became what it is today. I can still visualize the quilt and her. Don't forget to sign it in some way.

Originally Posted by wishfulthinking (Post 5609396)
If you want to finish quickly, I'd vote for a largish stipple. A small stipple will take more time and make the quilt stiffer.

JamieCMilligan 10-24-2012 12:32 PM

Thank you for all of the input! I have only practiced stippling in a smaller design so I will have to go home and practice a large stipple. I need to figure out how to sign it :)

Floralfab 10-24-2012 01:09 PM

You have made a really great quilt. I'm not that good at meandering so I'll recommend stitch in the ditch. It's easier to do when first learning to quilt. Good luck.