Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   STITCHING IN THE DITCH (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stitching-ditch-t15861.html)

Mousie 01-26-2009 05:47 PM

Stitching in the Ditch:
ok, you are looking at your block, seam line is right down the center, your seam allowances are pressed to your right...
now...to stitch in the ditch, do you stitch to the right of the seam, on top of the seam allowances OR
do you stitch to the left of the seam on the "no seam allowances" side?
I read that if you do it correctly, it strenghthens your quilt and since I had to 'skinny' up some of my seam allowances, it needs all the strength I can give it. It's going on a five year olds bed and probably will see the inside of a washing machine a lot! :D

b.zang 01-26-2009 06:07 PM

Stitching in the ditch is stitching in that little "hollow" made by your seam allowance, not top-stitching. Your stitches will seem to disappear into the quilt.

That's how it works for me, anyway.

Shadow Dancer 01-26-2009 06:08 PM

I stitch to the left of the seam allowance, as close to the edge without going over the edge. :)

mary quite contrary 01-26-2009 06:12 PM

I wouldn't tell the quilt police this because I'm sure it is "against the rules" but when I make kids quilts that are going to be very loved I have done wavy stitches or any decorative stitch straight down the seam. Depending on the pattern of the quilt this could add to the design but would definitely strengthen the structuce of it.

Mousie 01-26-2009 06:13 PM

thanks guys! I have books etc. but why spend all that time hunting something when you can get it straight from real ppl that do it! gotta love this board :wink:

thimblebug6000 01-26-2009 06:14 PM

I do like Shadow.... if you actually Stitch in the Ditch...in my mind you are really stitching down an empty space that is only filled with the stitching that joined the squares together. I prefer to stitch on the actual fabric about 1/8" over to the opposite side of where you have pressed your seam allowance. Once the quilt is washed this stitching is almost invisible.

Janstar 01-26-2009 06:44 PM

Ditto!

auntluc 01-26-2009 08:37 PM

Just about the time I think I get the quilting terms figured out...someone goes and changes them on me. lol.
It makes sense to me that when you stitch in the ditch, you don't actually have any fabric to stitch on...you're just stitching over stitches you already made. From now on my foot is going to be walking on the berm instead of stitching in the ditch. :wink:

SulaBug 01-26-2009 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Janstar
Ditto!

I must agree with these ladies also.

Cathe 01-27-2009 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000
I do like Shadow.... if you actually Stitch in the Ditch...in my mind you are really stitching down an empty space that is only filled with the stitching that joined the squares together. I prefer to stitch on the actual fabric about 1/8" over to the opposite side of where you have pressed your seam allowance. Once the quilt is washed this stitching is almost invisible.

Not only that, but you also run the risk of piercing and damaging the threads used for piecing. It's really best to stitch slightly to one side of the actual seam.