Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Stock the quilt store....ideas welcome! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stock-quilt-store-ideas-welcome-t110636.html)

QuiltnNan 03-25-2011 03:41 PM

space to lay out chosen fabrics to view them from a distance.

grugirl 03-25-2011 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
space to lay out chosen fabrics to view them from a distance.

I have to 2nd this one also. Many times it is not doable in a store and it is frustrating

lfw045 03-25-2011 03:46 PM

Definitely free coffee, tea or hot chocolate and a table with comfy chairs to foster conversation and ideas!

quilter1 03-25-2011 03:47 PM

Staff who are friendly and don't think they are better than you.
A basket on wheels to put bolts in while walking around and a table for previewing fabric choices. A clearance section is a must too. Good luck.

grugirl 03-25-2011 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
Novelty and landscape fabrics...I do allot of scenes and it's hard to find those types of fabric...do allot of searching.
The QS I occasionally teach at offers space to teachers takes no portion, teachers are free to charge whatever only have to ck dates with owners calandar to make sure space is available. This brings in business because most will purchase materials for the classes there.
They have two teas each yr for all their customers and bring in vendors, teachers to show what classes they are offering, anyone to do with sewing/quilting set up tables.
They have a magazine, book area with chairs so you can find a pattern...They also trust you to take it home and brin git back when done.
They send a monthly newsltr announcing the classes.
They have gatherings for people on the wkends or at night so you can bring your UFO to finish and get help on if needed.
They do allot of charity quilts...we all donate quilts to Project Linus, or this past winter made sqs and then put them together for the troops one wkend.
I could go on...but I think your head is probably spinning at this pt.Good luck

I have to agree with the landscape fabrics especially, brick tones and stones are hard to find for my houses. I am always on the lookout wherever I go. I still don't have many and have been searching for over 5 years.

SandraG 03-25-2011 03:57 PM

My favorite LQS has a variety of sales such as: Fat Quarter Friday (once a month) ($1.50); end of the bolt 25% off (one Sat a month); a buyer's card ($20 off after $250 in purchases); birthday sale (1/2 your age for the week before and after your birthday; Wonderful Wednesday (once a month where something is spontaneously put on sale, etc. They have a variety of samples hanging on the wall; a Christmas fabric area; a baby fabric area; a civil war area; new fabric area; batik area, etc. The best thing is you feel like you are home. They welcome you with a big smile, answer any questions, let you know about anything new or on sale. And, they call me by name (of course I have been going there for years).

grugirl 03-25-2011 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by SandraG
My favorite LQS has a variety of sales such as: Fat Quarter Friday (once a month) ($1.50); end of the bolt 25% off (one Sat a month); a buyer's card ($20 off after $250 in purchases); birthday sale (1/2 your age for the week before and after your birthday; Wonderful Wednesday (once a month where something is spontaneously put on sale, etc. They have a variety of samples hanging on the wall; a Christmas fabric area; a baby fabric area; a civil war area; new fabric area; batik area, etc. The best thing is you feel like you are home. They welcome you with a big smile, answer any questions, let you know about anything new or on sale. And, they call me by name (of course I have been going there for years).

The friendliness of course plays a huge part. I have oft found that many women that work in quilt shops are not always that friendly. In fact, many times I feel as if I put them off by asking questions. They seem disturbed or bothered many times. There are a few shops I love but the friendliness of the owner and staff has much to be desired.

ergranny46 03-25-2011 04:16 PM

I agree if you are close to Hancocks or JoAnns don't try to compete with them, remember you're a better shop. You carry better fabrics, books, patterns, tools, instructors and have a better staff.

If you are going to have classes, I hope you have lots of room. One of our LQS has classes but the room is so small that there are 4 students at each table. You have no room to move no place to cut or trim fabric, you get the idea.

Good natural light if possible.

The most important thing is a welcoming staff.
We have a nationally known quilt store about 2 hrs from here, my dh has taken me a couple of times and they don't even act like we exist, he always leaves and waits in the truck.

I like the idea of having a table with chairs to talk and share ideas. Also dh could rest while I shop and spend our (teehehe) money.

Please let us know how your shop is progressing, we would like to see you do very well. Pictures please and progress reports.

Good Luck!!!!!

BKrenning 03-25-2011 04:17 PM

A full selection on-line with in-store pickup option.

cedarvalleyquilts 03-25-2011 04:29 PM

Thanks again to everyone....each one of these ideas is extremely helpful (and very good too).

Chris