Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   stop start button or foot pedal? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stop-start-button-foot-pedal-t245239.html)

kindleaddict63 04-15-2014 09:27 PM

stop start button or foot pedal?

Just wondering how many of you use the start stop button instead of the foot pedal? I seem to rely on the button and am wondering if anyone else does the same. Pro's and cons?

DOTTYMO 04-15-2014 09:52 PM

I have. I started using it on machines that have one, after a new puppy decided to be good and go asleep on my feet. This meant when I was sewing she sometimes put her head on the foot pedal when my foot wasn't there buT the machine was on. She still enjoys making the machine go. If I am using a foot pedal she waits and loves walking over it now.
I love free motion quilting with the stop start button and a set speed. Tog in with you still find yourself hands and feet, a little like learning to drive. It soon calms down and I love it.
No loose lead to the floor and much safer.

sandilee 04-15-2014 09:59 PM

Foot petal. Just can't change my ways!

tellabella 04-15-2014 10:04 PM

My foot pedal died and for a while I was using the button and I just had to order another pedal...

quiltingcandy 04-15-2014 10:04 PM

I love to use my start/stop button.

Knitette 04-15-2014 10:46 PM

That's one thing I really missed about my Pfaff QE4 - no on/off button, although the new QE4.2 has one. I loved it for setting the speed for FMQ - one less thing to worry about, lol.

I used to use it all the time on my Janome, but now that I have an auto-pivot function (where the presser foot raises itself) and do a lot of machine appliqué I miss it less, as my hands are not reaching for the presser foot lever.

busy fingers 04-16-2014 01:14 AM

I use my button all the time and only use the foot pedal for winding my bobbins.

ckcowl 04-16-2014 01:47 AM

depends on what I am doing- there are times when I use the start/stop button- like for quilting; then there are times when I prefer the foot pedal- like when piecing or appliqueing. just depends on which method is going to work best at the moment :)

NJ Quilter 04-16-2014 01:47 AM

I can not get used to the button! I've tried using it but just can't quite get there. I don't machine quilt so that probably has something to do with it. I'm sure it would be immensely helpful for that.

luana 04-16-2014 03:10 AM

I think I am missing something. If you use the start/stop button, don't your hands (or a finger) need to leave your work while you reach for it? Especially when I am FMQ, I like both hands on my work when the machine starts, so I use the pedal. When I applique I need both hands on my work and sometimes go one stitch at a time, so I use the pedal. I am very interested in the advantages of the start/stop button because lots of you use it, and I don't want to miss out.