Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Stop Threads Unraveling (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stop-threads-unraveling-t306683.html)

Moira in N.E. England 09-03-2019 12:57 AM

Stop Threads Unraveling

I have sewn 2.5 inch jelly roll pieces together then cut them to make strips of 2.5 inch blocks.

Is there a way to stop the threads unraveling at the cut edges?

tallchick 09-03-2019 02:38 AM

How frustrating, I think we have all been down that road at some point. There is a product called Fray Check, but that would be tedious at best. I would suggest liberal starch and try to avoid over handling the fabric, and perhaps an adult beverage, good luck!

Moira in N.E. England 09-03-2019 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by tallchick (Post 8297049)
How frustrating, I think we have all been down that road at some point. There is a product called Fray Check, but that would be tedious at best. I would suggest liberal starch and try to avoid over handling the fabric, and perhaps an adult beverage, good luck!

I like all of your suggestions especially the last one!

Barb2018 09-03-2019 03:52 AM

I second the suggestions of starch and gentle handling. I don't drink alcohol so I'd suggest chocolate.......lots of it!

Queenbarbiej 09-03-2019 04:26 AM

I find shortening your stitch length helps with the unraveling after being cut it. I usually will do about 22 stitches per inch (well that is the setting on my sewing machine).

feline fanatic 09-03-2019 04:27 AM

When you say threads unraveling at the cuts are you talking the fabric or the seam line you just stitched? If the former, yes I agree with starch, it helps. If the latter, shorten your stitch length.

Moira in N.E. England 09-03-2019 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic (Post 8297087)
When you say threads unraveling at the cuts are you talking the fabric or the seam line you just stitched? If the former, yes I agree with starch, it helps. If the latter, shorten your stitch length.

I mean the line I’ve just stitched - sorry for the confusion.

juliasb 09-03-2019 06:48 AM

I like the chocolate idea! to keep things from fraying as a temp measure while I am sewing I would take a glue stick and just swipe the edge. Easy to wash out after you are finished too. I have used the Fray Check and it is good but tedious.

bearisgray 09-03-2019 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Queenbarbiej (Post 8297085)
I find shortening your stitch length helps with the unraveling after being cut it. I usually will do about 22 stitches per inch (well that is the setting on my sewing machine).

Do you perhaps mean 2.2? If your machine uses millimeters for the settings, that would be approximately 11.5 stitches per inch. (25.4 / 2.2)

I am going to post a link to stitch length in the links and resources section.

22 stitches per inch would be quite a challenge to have to un-sew.

Queenbarbiej 09-03-2019 07:04 AM

2 of my older machines has 6, 8, 10, 14 & 22 for the stitch length. Yes, 22 stitches per inch is very hard to rip apart.