Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   stopping/starting when cross-hatch quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stopping-starting-when-cross-hatch-quilting-t203542.html)

sandrab64 10-18-2012 05:27 AM

stopping/starting when cross-hatch quilting

I love the cross-hatch quilting look but how do you stop and start each line if there is another piece (i.e. applique, etc) in between before you continue on with the line? Do you back tack each time and jump to the start of the line again? Do you bury ALL those thread tails? Want a clean look and want to do it right. Any suggestions appreciated!

luana 10-18-2012 05:41 AM

I'm no help, but glad you asked the question. I want to know too.

Blackberry 10-18-2012 05:45 AM

When I cross-hatch I quilt up to the point where I need to skip over something, I take about three very tight, nearly on top of each other, stitches. Then I pull the fabric to the next place to start cross-hatching and when I start, I again take 3 very tight stitches and then continue on until the next skip over comes. Hope this helps. I don't know if it is the right way or not but eliminates the constant typing off of each section that is cross-hatched.

Petey 10-18-2012 06:02 AM

Here is what I do - I start the the line with 5 very tiny stitches. Sew to where I have to stop do 5 very tiny stitches again and cut the thread off by hand after I am done with the whole thing - I never bury the stitches unless I what to drive myself crazy...I don't care what they say.

margie77072 10-18-2012 10:48 AM

Thanks for asking the question and thanks ladies for the great answers!!

asimplelife 10-18-2012 11:47 AM

I do several stitches at length 1.0 on my machine when I start and stop. Then just clip the threads close being careful not to snip the quilt.

patchsamkim 10-18-2012 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Petey (Post 5594332)
Here is what I do - I start the the line with 5 very tiny stitches. Sew to where I have to stop do 5 very tiny stitches again and cut the thread off by hand after I am done with the whole thing - I never bury the stitches unless I what to drive myself crazy...I don't care what they say.

Same for me...the only time I would bury the threads would be if I was using a specialty thread such as metallic, rayon or something that frays.

Tartan 10-18-2012 12:18 PM

Sorry but I am a knot/bury person. I know it will really bother ME if I don't. Do what feels right for you.

ckcowl 10-18-2012 12:25 PM

there is no real (right or wrong) here- some people tie & bury their threads, some people take a few tiny stitches- bring the bobbin thread to the top & snip off both threads at the quilt surface- which ever way you want to do it is fine & your choice- maybe try a small practice piece (like a pot holder) trying both methods & see which you like best.

AFQSinc 10-18-2012 01:09 PM

Check out Diane Gaudynski's book Guide To Machine Quilting. She has a technique in the book for freemotion crosshatching using a richochet motion. It is a nice technique and I am no free motion expert. It does take some practice but it eliminates all of the the stopping and starting and gives a nice effect. I found a copy at my local library. Yours may have a copy of it as well. It is definitely worth checking out.