Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Storing the Cutting Rulers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/storing-cutting-rulers-t157396.html)

AliKat 10-02-2011 11:08 AM

I drilled holes on the side top of my cutting table just below the table level, put in nuts and long bolts. Now I have a place for my most frequently used rulers.

From one of the bolts hangs a fabric ruler holder. This was made with 3 pockets at different depths and each about 7" wide. So the rulers I absolutely use the most go in there.

My specialty rulers hang on round belt hangers on the side of my bookcase int he studio. My really small rulers, the ones without holes are grouped by size and purpose in a drawer of my IKEA Antonius system.

My Alto's QuiltCut2 lives under the TV armoir in the living room so it is handy to my cutting table.

I have a somewhat small home and peg board would take precious space. The wooden slotted ruler holders take up valuable surface area.

Works for me.

ali

Mitch's mom 10-02-2011 11:15 AM

All of mine are on the wall hanging from used machine needles. I put the needles in at an angle and they hold just about anything. No nail holes and it keeps the needles out of the landfill.

Fixedgearhead 10-02-2011 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by babyquiltlady
I am rearranging my sewing room now that I have a new storage cupboard for my material.

The cutting rulers are always an issue. Give me some great ideas of where I might keep the rulers?

Mine are in a 4 drawer chest that resides below my cutting table. I store cutting mats, rulers, Olfa cutters, and templates for piecing cuts, in the top two drawers. The third and bottom drawers are for clothing patterns for frequently made clothes and to be made clothes. I like to have the quilting stuff ready where they are being used and not across the room hanging on a wall.
John

JanetM 10-02-2011 12:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My husband just last week made this pegboard system for my rulers. Wish he had done it years ago.

Pegboard System
[ATTACH=CONFIG]265388[/ATTACH]

JanetM 10-02-2011 12:24 PM

Oops, double post :oops:

LLWinston44 10-02-2011 05:25 PM

Alikat, what is IKEA Antonius system???

Quilt-Till-U-Wilt 10-03-2011 02:59 AM

I have a wooden rack with slots smade for rulers. I have it next to a bookcase, on the floor. It's close enough to my sewing machine that if I need one while I'm sewing I don't have to get up.

meanmummy 10-03-2011 03:33 AM

I didn't like the ring - now use it for embroidery hoops

whinnytoo 10-03-2011 04:26 AM

I have an old fashioned low dresser that I keep under my cutting table and all my rulers are in the top drawer.
It has several drawers to store all kinds of things and its very handy

stitchofclass2 10-03-2011 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE

Originally Posted by janell2009
Love the peg board idea... I just put some nails in the wall over where I use them and hang my rulers on the nails... hehehhe

I hate peg boards ... the pegs always come out! :)

For now my rulers are in an upright letter holder next to my cutting table.
I've been considering nails in the wall ... though hate the clutter look, so for now have kept them in the letter holder.

This is where I keep mine too. Works well for me as I have a very large cutting area. I put two dressers (bought at Fleet & Farm) standing back to back with an opening of about 4 feet between. My husband made me a plywood top (painted with 3 coats of paint) which spans the whole area. It is great and I keep everything on top in site. For me this is important as I go back and forth to two houses and quite often forget where I put things. Very frustrating lack of memory. So this letter holder idea works great for me. However at this time, I only have 7 rulers. Yolanda Wood River