Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Storing fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/storing-fabric-t101682.html)

emsgranny 02-21-2011 07:34 AM

I have noticed that whenever I look at everyone's posts of their rooms their fabrics are all exposed and not in containers. Many of you have large quantities of fabrics that cant possibly be used quickly. Of course I fall into that category too lol

My question is -

How do you prevent the fabric from getting dusty or picking up household odors?

I keep mine in clear plastic totes - is this wrong? Would like to know opinions please cheryl :D

champagnebubbles 02-21-2011 07:36 AM

I am new at this, but I bought big cupboards with doors for this reason. Also I can keep it all hidden and neat in there :)

the casual quilter 02-21-2011 07:50 AM

My fabric storage area is in a closet with bi-fold louvered doors. I put shelves in the closet and that's where I store my fabric. I've tried using tubs, but I found myself spending more time digging through tubs than sewing. I don't think storing fabric in tubs is a bad idea (my sister does it), it just doesn't work for me.

carslo 02-21-2011 08:00 AM

I am using a glass front china cabinet to store my fabrics, but they certainly aren't organized very well.
I still lose fabric in there :(

Janet

ckcowl 02-21-2011 08:01 AM

i store my fabrics on shelves, i do have a drop=down cover over the shelves but they are very seldom covered...i am always into them so tend to keep them open. i go through them all so often i don't think there is much chance of dust collecting :)
even the years old ufos i still take out and at least look at every couple months...some is in totes, like holiday fabrics i only get into for a short period of time, the rest is out where i can see it and grab what i need. i tried keeping it all in totes but had to waste alot of time searching every time i needed something - so that didn't work so well for me.

Jan in VA 02-21-2011 08:02 AM

I've always stored my fabric behind closed doors, for fade and dust prevention.

Jan in VA

feffertim 02-21-2011 08:05 AM

I keep mine in plastic tubs but because the tubs are clear, it's not hard to see the fabric if I fold it right so that it shows. I can pretty much see what I have

Candace 02-21-2011 08:37 AM

Fabric shouldn't be stored in the light. Containers probably protect the fabric from the light a bit. I'm more worried about fading than anything. I've received MANY bits of fabrics from ladies who store fabric on shelves and they've been ruined with fade lines:<

emsgranny 02-21-2011 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
Fabric shouldn't be stored in the light. Containers probably protect the fabric from the light a bit. I'm more worried about fading than anything. I've received MANY bits of fabrics from ladies who store fabric on shelves and they've been ruined with fade lines:<

I have found same thing!! There iare a couple rows of fabric close to windows at my JoAnns store that I wont buy anything off of because of that plus its close to doors! Shame really because some of it is some nice fleece and the other is cotton apparell fabrics!! I have mentioned this to them but to no avail lol

brenda21 02-21-2011 08:49 AM

I used plastic tubs for a long time and still keep holiday fabrics in them but like others, I spent too much time digging through bins and forget what I had, etc. Just didn't work for me. Also, stores don't "store" it that way, so what's the difference if it's on their shelves or mine? That's just what works for me.