Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Storing Fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/storing-fabric-t140087.html)

JuneBillie 07-25-2011 02:09 AM

I see some have fabric stored in containers with lids on and off, and in cabinets with doors, and without doors on open shelves. What is the best way to store fabric? Is dust not a concern?

quilticing 07-25-2011 02:13 AM

Humidity and sunlight are the major concerns. Moisture and starch draw bugs.

Yarn or Fabric 07-25-2011 03:01 AM

I have my material ruler folded and stacked on shelves in a closet. I removed the folding doors from the closet and hung dark curtains in front of it to keep the sun off of it.

I think you have to do whatever works for you. Some like bins. Some like cabinets. Some like shelves. Some like xerox boxes (which I also have a lot of material in) but for me the ruler fold and closet method works the best for me at this time in my life. Things might change.

QuiltnNan 07-25-2011 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric
I have my material ruler folded and stacked on shelves in a closet. ...
I think you have to do whatever works for you. Some like bins. Some like cabinets. Some like shelves. Some like xerox boxes (which I also have a lot of material in) but for me the ruler fold and closet method works the best for me at this time in my life. Things might change.

ditto

JulieR 07-25-2011 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan

I have my material ruler folded and stacked on shelves in a closet. ...

ditto

Me, too. I'm fortunate to have a small walk-in closet with a door for my stash. I added inexpensive shelves from an office supply store, and a few things are on hangers.

Now if I could only find a better way to store my scraps...

AUQuilter 07-25-2011 04:27 AM

I have my material ruler folded and stacked on shelves in a closet. I removed the folding doors from the closet and hung dark curtains in front of it to keep the sun off of it.

Ditto again.

SparkMonkey 07-25-2011 04:32 AM

I use Rubbermaid containers for pretty much all my crafty stuff (patterns, scraps, fabric, yarn, beads, tools, etc). I'm at a place in my life where we're still a bit transient--renting, moving every couple years, still not sure where we'll end up permanently, so I like knowing that my crafting supplies won't require a lot of fussing next time we move. I do have my most-used items out and available in pretty vases and jars, but the bulk of my things are squirreled away in the spare bedroom, garage, and in the sewing room cubbies. It's not the prettiest solution, but it's the best for now.

pocoellie 07-25-2011 04:38 AM

All of my fabric is in drawers or large totes and since I have north facing windows, I'm not concerned about sun damage.

Glassquilt 07-25-2011 04:43 AM

I have my FQ in rubbermaid by color. I like being able to put them side by side when picking fabric.

gramarraine 07-25-2011 05:34 AM

Most of my fabric is folded and on shelves or in drawers. I sorted it about a year ago and gave away what I didn't think I would ever use. I have found that it was helpful to go through everything and see what I have. Everything is stored away from light and windows and in a way that will keep it clean. All my scraps are stored in containers by size.