Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Storing Material (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/storing-material-t93228.html)

BJk416 01-23-2011 03:27 PM

I need some ideas for storing material for quick access.
Where can I find cabinets or shelving?
Any other ideas would be helpful.

Raggiemom 01-23-2011 03:44 PM

I use plastic tubs bought from Walmart. I just stack them and pull out the one I need. Many people have shelves on the wall.

johans 01-23-2011 04:25 PM

I built a new closet 6 months ago. Using 12 inch deep shelves that are adjustable, I fold my yardage fabric in 12x6" size bundles and stack them 12" high, and 1/2 to 1yard pieces 3"x12". This way I can tell how much fabric is there. Fat quarter-1/2 yd is in plastic mesh bins folded 3"x4", and smaller than that goes to bins as scraps. At this point I don't have so much fabric as to need to organize by color. I bought the plastic cards for folding stored fabric, but haven't used them yet -- maybe some day I'll get the hang of that and prefer to store it a books on a shelf. Storing in tubs makes the fabric too inaccessible for me. I want to be able to see it. When I look through bins, they get all messed up. Projects go into clear plastic bins.

Cherylsea 01-23-2011 04:31 PM

Check this out: www.quiltingboard.com/t-43871-1.htm

totally amazing to me and I wish I was her best friend!

needles3thread 01-23-2011 07:56 PM

Auctions have metal storage cabinets sometimes.
When fabric stores sell out, their cabinets are for sale.

quilt crazee 01-23-2011 10:15 PM

medical lateral files-- we just need all our drs to go digital & GIVE them to us. someone posted a few months ago! Other than the stashanista best storage I've seen!

luvTooQuilt 01-23-2011 10:31 PM

i use the 24/48 cube shoe organizers from lowes for my fat quarters.. or cd racks mounted on the wall

sterilite rolling carts with 3-4 drawers for scraps (quiltville.com style), & larger accuquilt shapes

Clear tubs for holiday fabric

Floor to ceiling Wooden book shelves I found on craigslist for $35 each..

Artbins for WIPS

Individual Shoe boxes for misc fabrics for 2,3,4,5,6 inc sq, sm accuquilt shapes, etc.

snicker dee 01-23-2011 10:42 PM

My family saves the plastic bins that produce comes in and I use them for stacking on shelves. I can see what is in each one. Some sizes are better than others ... my fav is the size that salad greens come in.

lynmccoy 01-23-2011 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by johans
I built a new closet 6 months ago. Using 12 inch deep shelves that are adjustable, I fold my yardage fabric in 12x6" size bundles and stack them 12" high, and 1/2 to 1yard pieces 3"x12". This way I can tell how much fabric is there. Fat quarter-1/2 yd is in plastic mesh bins folded 3"x4", and smaller than that goes to bins as scraps. At this point I don't have so much fabric as to need to organize by color. I bought the plastic cards for folding stored fabric, but haven't used them yet -- maybe some day I'll get the hang of that and prefer to store it a books on a shelf. Storing in tubs makes the fabric too inaccessible for me. I want to be able to see it. When I look through bins, they get all messed up. Projects go into clear plastic bins.

I wouldn't have as much as I do if I only bought fabric for my own use.At least that's what I try to make myself believe.The truth is, I have a hard time walking by a fabric aisle and not buying any.They just seem to call out to me,"Buy me , take me home".

leatheflea 01-24-2011 02:20 AM

All my fabric is in cabinets or totes. I dont leave it out in the open, gets to dusty. I got mine at Menards. 6' tall and 3' wide, made by Sauder, $100. Ajustable shelves, prefab, oak coloring, not real wood. I also have an Armouir for fabric. 2 hope chest. Our goodwill has a large back room just for furniture and they always have cabinets, thats where I purchased my Armouir $25. I also bought my craft table($15) used for my puter in sewing room. The two hope chest where free and we refinished. I find that totes are awkward, I have two for scraps, and one for stabilizer scraps, when I cant shut the lid its time to make a quilt or two out of the scraps. With totes you have to stack and unstack, they get all messed up. I have small shoe box totes for notions, one with zippers, one for lace, one for ribbon, you get the idea. You what I thought would be neat instead of all these little totes is one of those library file cabinets with the little drawers that are about 5 inches wide, just big enough for index cards. I would love to have one of those just for my notions. I kinda lost myself instead of answering your question, good luck with your stash protector!