Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Storm at Sea Quilt - problem (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/storm-sea-quilt-problem-t120771.html)

beckalou 05-04-2011 11:43 AM

I am working on a Storm at Sea Quilt for my DD wedding gift & having a problem with one of the blocks. It is the block that has the diamond in the center. The book gives measurements for cutting the triangles that frame the diamond, but no measurements to cut the diamond (just a printed template). The template measures 4 1/16 from side to side. I traced the template onto some template plastic & cut my fabric using that. When I put the block together it is not measuring right. I am thinking possibly the printed template in the book is small by 1/16". I guess my real question is does anyone have an easy peasy way of cutting out these diamonds & what size do I need to cut them and the triangles to come up with a rectangle 4.5 x 8.5 (4 x 8 finished size)? I am ready to pull my hair out over this one........lol

mytwopals 05-04-2011 11:45 AM

Did the template provided include the 1/4" seam allowance? That may be the problem.

QuiltnCowgirl 05-04-2011 11:45 AM

First thing that came to mind is if the template included a 1/4" seam allowance or if you needed to add it on.

Rebecca VLQ 05-04-2011 11:45 AM

Ooo....I don't have the answer but I'd sure like to know!

GreatStarter 05-04-2011 11:53 AM

Why don't you check and see if pattern designer has a website and then check if there is a posting for pattern corrections?

beckalou 05-04-2011 11:57 AM

Te template did include the 1/4" seam allowance & I measured my seams. The block is coming out on the small side. I hate using templates, much prefer using measurements on my ruler.

beckalou 05-04-2011 12:14 PM

I just did a search for this quilt on google and found that quiltgran2 (a member of this board) had a problem with this pattern also. I sent her a PM to see if she had the same problem with the same block. The book is Samplings from the Sea by Rosemary Makhan, I would still like an easier way to cut these block pieces out if anyone has any ideas......Quiltgran2, come out come out wherever you are!.........lol

beckalou 05-04-2011 12:17 PM

BTW, there are no corrections anywhere that I could find for this pattern on the internet. Rosemary does not have this book listed on her website (it was put out by That Patchwork Place)

MTS 05-04-2011 12:47 PM

Always look for corrections on the publisher's website.
http://www.martingale-pub.com/store/...ons_search.php

The authors should have it all as well, but.....

And there are none for this book. <shrug> I find it hard to believe as pretty much every book, despite everyone's best intentions, have some small error or typo. It's the nature of the beast.

I think the way to approach this is to decide what size you do NEED based on the other pieces. It's essentially a 9patch.

So what size completed rectangle do you need to fit with the rest of the pieces to make a square block?

4"x8" So make it work.

Actually, I'd probably PP it. But then I'd probably be pp-ing the entire block.

If I were going to do it without a foundation, I would do a version of the snowball method, adjusted for the odd shapes of a half rectangle.

If you draw a rectangle around the diamond shape in the template you have, then you can easily add the correct seam allowance.

If you cut the diamond from fabric according to this new template, you can cut two oversized rectangles for the corners. Test this with scrap fabric.

Cut them in half, and attach to the diamond on the 4 corners. Then trim the rectangle to the correct size.

A bit convoluted, but then there's no "coming up short" in the final piece.

beckalou 05-04-2011 01:03 PM

I guess my real question is does anyone have an easy peasy way of cutting out these diamonds & what size do I need to cut them and the triangles to come up with a rectangle 4.5 x 8.5 (4 x 8 finished size)? I am ready to pull my hair out over this one........lol