Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Stowed Away or Loved to Death (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stowed-away-loved-death-t18437.html)

sandpat 04-02-2009 04:59 AM

I did give a lot of mine away to Project Linus..I do hope they are being loved. I also have some that are on our couch and on the bed...I'd much rather they be used.

Angie 04-02-2009 05:25 AM

I have made most of my quilts for people I love and make them with love, so I want them to love them ragged!

Rose Marie 04-02-2009 07:41 AM

If they are worn to the point of no return cut a piece out and frame it with a history of all who used it. Maybe each person involved would like a framed part also.

Joan 04-02-2009 07:49 AM

I want any quilt I make to be used and loved.

Case in point: When I went away to college, my grandmother gave me a "brand new quilt" that my greatgrandmother had made. Even though I wasn't a quilter at the time, it seemed very special and I remember marveling at all of her hand stitching. Long story short---I used it and used it and washed it with regularity. It is now faded and well used but I can't describe the comfort of having it being away from home for the first time and having this little part of home and family. Regardlesss of its present condition, it's still beautiful to me!

littlehud 04-02-2009 07:53 AM

Thirty years ago my mom made a quilt for my DD and my sisters DS. She hand made both of them. His is gone, but hers was used and loved by all three of my kid. Youngest daughter slept with it til it was nearly in pieces. She folded it and has stored it with her other blankets. (Couldn't get rid of it. Grandma is gone and it is a little bit of her here ) DGD went checked out the pile of blankets and claimed the threadbare quilt as hers. That's when I decided I wanted to quilt. If a simple quilt could hold so many peoples hearts I wanted to do that too. I want my quilts to be used and loved as much as this one was. And if they are threadbare and ragged I just see them as very loved.

k3n 04-02-2009 09:10 AM

It depends - I have a few hangin on the wall that were hand-pieced and quilted so a LOT of work! :D But the kids have lap quilts that are theirs to do what they like with - tents, teddy picnics, play marbles or lego on, whatever! THOSE are meant to be worn out! :D

K x

sewnsewer2 04-02-2009 10:23 AM

I tell the people who I make quilts for to "USE" them. Life is too short to save them!

MadQuilter 04-02-2009 10:31 AM

I give my quilts to people I KNOW or hope will use them. The ones at home are washed and silky and just one thread away from falling apart, or they are being loved to death by claws and covered in fur. :wink: I don't believe in keeping quilts pristine, which is why most of mine start utilitarian in nature.

One exception that upsets me every time is in the movie "How to make an American Quilt" when Wynona Ryder drags that GORGEOUS hand-made quilt through the red dirt. I could walk into the TV frame and slap her!

mamabird3 04-02-2009 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I give my quilts to people I KNOW or hope will use them. The ones at home are washed and silky and just one thread away from falling apart, or they are being loved to death by claws and covered in fur. :wink: I don't believe in keeping quilts pristine, which is why most of mine start utilitarian in nature.

One exception that upsets me every time is in the movie "How to make an American Quilt" when Wynona Ryder drags that GORGEOUS hand-made quilt through the red dirt. I could walk into the TV frame and slap her!

I just watched that again a few weeks ago... I whole heartedly agree, someone should have slapped her. :D

Glad I am part of the love it to death club!

JoanneS 04-02-2009 04:28 PM

When I give baby quilts, I includ the poem "It's okay to sit on your quilt, It's okay to spit on your quilt", because I want them to be USED. If you're interested, you can google 'quilt poems' - I think that's how I found it. Otherwise, PM me AFTER May 3 - that's when I'm back in CT where the poem is!