Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   straight lines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/straight-lines-t106554.html)

sue38 03-10-2011 09:01 AM

I need some suggestions on how to cut straight lines. Even with a ruler I cannot do it. Do you know of anything on the market that would help me solve this problem. Thanks.

sassyg 03-10-2011 09:06 AM

Try using the June Tailor slotted rulers;especially if you're trying to cut strips

MrsM 03-10-2011 09:16 AM

This is how I was taught. Iron your fabric, selvedges together, a nice sharp crease on fabric fold. Place on cutting board, place a right triangle along the crease, it's bottom edge lined up straight with the fabric fold. The other straight (verticle) edge along the left open side of fabric, (moving the triangle in enough so you have enough fabric to cut off along its edge.) Take your ruler and place and hold it against the left straight side of the fabric. Carefully remove the triangle. Cut along the rulers edge, holding it so it does not slip. Remove fabric strip. You now should have a straight and even edge. Now you can cut straight strips.

milp04 03-10-2011 09:26 AM

Are you in a local guilting group? Do you have a LQS nearby? You might want to ask someone watch you as you cut. They may be able to give you some pointers on what you may be doing wrong and tips to make cutting easier.

Does your rotary cutter have a new blade? Do you have a handle attached to your ruler? What size ruler are you using? Are you using a ruler to cut by or the lines on the cutting mat? Generally I never use the lines on the cutting mat but always use a ruler for measurements. It is also recommended to use the same brand of rulers or only one ruler per project for fabric measurement for cutting? Are you cutting strips that are too long? How many layers are you trying to cut through? Have you tried putting grippers on the bottom of your ruler? If budget is a problem, try several pieces of double sided tape. This will help to keep the ruler from slipping on the fabric. Have you washed the fabric before cutting? If you have washed the fabric have you ironed and starched the fabric? Did you use starch or sizing or Best Press? Are you cutting at an angle or straight in front of your body? What is the height of your cutting surface? Is the cutting surface too low or too high? Is your cutting mat clean? Is your cutting mat moving while you're cutting? What size rotary cutter are you using? Are you able to grip the cutter properly?

Have you checkout out videos on You Tube? You might to watch as others are cutting fabric to see their method. Are you cutting with the same method?

I know many questions. I would seek out another quilter or group and see if you can get some personal hand's on assistance with your cutting skills.

Keep us updated on your situation and progress.

Pam M

PaperPrincess 03-10-2011 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by sue38
I need some suggestions on how to cut straight lines. Even with a ruler I cannot do it. Do you know of anything on the market that would help me solve this problem. Thanks.

Make a cut and go very slowly and try and figure out what you are doing. Did the ruler move? Are you having a hard time keeping the cutter against the ruler? If the ruler moves, there are several products out there that help keep it in place, such as sand paper dots. If you are having trouble keeping the cutter straight, go to your LQS and see if they have different brands you can try. I have one that I cannot keep against the ruler for some reason. The June Taylor slotted ruler is another alternative for strips.

peacebypiece 03-10-2011 12:05 PM

to Pam in Dayton..
You do an excellent job of explaining how to do things for the people who are stumped. One more question: is the person who "can't cut straight" standing up or sitting down?
At "sew night" I see quite a few people try to everything sitting down. Standing up is a simple fix to a lot of problems.

quilter1943 03-10-2011 01:13 PM

Have to agree with Peacebypiece about standing. I can trim a corner or something small sitting, but if I'm cutting WOF, I have to stand to get it right. Keeps the blood circulating too!

Originally Posted by peacebypiece
to Pam in Dayton..
You do an excellent job of explaining how to do things for the people who are stumped. One more question: is the person who "can't cut straight" standing up or sitting down?
At "sew night" I see quite a few people try to everything sitting down. Standing up is a simple fix to a lot of problems.

dakotamaid 03-10-2011 07:22 PM

I think part of the problem with trying to cut straight strips is the the fact that not always do your selvages line up perfectly and you have a nice fold. I fold my fabric in half and move along the fold until both sides of the fabric drape straight down, than I lay it down and press that crease in. Even some of my expensive LQS fabric can be off a bit. Just my findings.

AliKat 03-11-2011 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by sue38

Is this because the ruler slips or that you have difficulty holding the ruler.

If the ruler slips you can use sandpaper dots that you can buy at Joann's, a LQS, or even Walmart, or invisigrip on the back side of your ruler.

If it is your holding the ruler ... hold it with at least your little finger over the opposite edge from te cutting edge.

Or you can try the Alto's QuiltCut2. I love mine!

ali

cassie69emt 03-11-2011 11:22 AM

Maybe check out the Altos quilt Cut