Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   ? Straight Pins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/straight-pins-t109730.html)

Twisted Quilter 03-22-2011 09:31 AM

Normally when I use straight pins, if they leave holes, I can just use a puff of steam and they're gone. This time I have holes all over the place! Is there a certain brand of straight pins that are better than others? Or, could it be the material I'm using on this project.

Thanks.

donnajean 03-22-2011 09:34 AM

Sounds like the material might be the problem this time. I use the yellow glass head thin quilting pins & like you said a shot of steam usually takes care of any holes. I use the very fine silk pins for sewing over joined seams as my machine sews over them if necessary.

jrhboxers 03-22-2011 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by donnajean
I use the yellow glass head thin quilting pins & . . . .

These are the pins that I use and very rarely have problems with residual holes. And I just bought a whole new crop of them from Missouri Quilt. They have the box of 100 for $1.50. I added them to the Daily Deal that I bought last week. I was able to get 1000 of $15.00. And I think it is a worthy investment.

milp04 03-22-2011 09:40 AM

It sounds like it's the material this time. The newer materials are not of the same quality as we've had in the past. I used to used just any old pins and still do most of the time. I have recently purchased the tiny applique pins. I also plan on getting some of the fine silk pins that are very fine and have sharp tips.

Have you tried to spray a bit of just water and then steam iron?

Keep us updated on any different attempts with this project.

Pam M

Twisted Quilter 03-22-2011 12:35 PM

Thanks everyone! Hopefully JoAnn's will have the glass pins suggested, if not I'll definitely have to order some.

PamM, thanks for the tip...worked like a charm!

Country1 03-22-2011 04:00 PM

I like to use flower head pins best.

LivelyLady 03-22-2011 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Country1
I like to use flower head pins best.

That's my preference too :-)

quiltmaker 03-23-2011 05:03 AM

I love the Clover extra fine patchwork pins...they are in a plastic type holder and come with the purple and yellow pins. They are so easy to sew over. The Iris extra fine silk pins are also lovely. I also use the short Iris extra fine applique pins and am very happy with them.

soccertxi 03-23-2011 06:33 AM

I found my favorite pins by accident. I found some with buttons on the end. I purchased them to put in a gift pin cushion just for show. I discovered that they are BUTTAH even on batiks, which I usually have a bit of trouble pinning. I found them in the sewing notions section of JoAnns. Not in the quilt section.

mary j 03-23-2011 07:26 AM

As a sewer of girls clothing before I became a quilter. I always use silk pins, they are very thin and go in smoothly, make no holes, are not as long as quilting pins. I use them for lining up seams and blocks.