Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Straightening fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/straightening-fabric-t278933.html)

bearisgray 05-24-2016 07:52 AM

Straightening fabric

I consider my (woven) fabric "straightened" when the lengthwise threads are perpendicular to the crosswise threads.

It seems that some consider fabric "straightened" when the first cuts are perpendicular to the selvages.

What say you?

tessagin 05-24-2016 07:58 AM

Hmm. I am a diehard prewasher unlike many others. After washing I like to iron/press my fabric. I give it a shake then let it rest to straighten itself out and get back into shape. That is my idea of straightening fabric.

ManiacQuilter2 05-24-2016 08:28 AM

I never worry about straighten the fabric. I just try my best to get the ruler line up properly at the fold edge and cut my strips.

dunster 05-24-2016 09:10 AM

I have the same definition of "straightened" as you do, however I often sew with fabric that is not technically straight.

donnajean 05-24-2016 09:17 AM

I match selvages when pressing and then trim the cut edge with a ruler

toverly 05-24-2016 09:37 AM

I'm with you bearisgray, it's straight when the threads are straight, not with the cut. Although I admit, I really don't pay attention to straight of grain.

cashs_mom 05-24-2016 10:27 AM

I"m also in the "it's straight when the threads are straight". I think it's from my years of sewing garments and needing things to be on the straight grain. I don't, however, always straighten fabric that I'm going to be piecing. I probably should . . .

Macybaby 05-24-2016 01:16 PM

I agree , straight is when the threads are straight and perpendicular to the selvage. However with quilting, I do not worry about it. I prewash and line up selvages and let the cut edges go where ever so the fold has not creasing in it.

Now, if I was making clothing, I would be pulling the fabric to straighten it out. I've pulled backings a bit, but since they aren't cut into small pieces and sew every which way, they can be problematic.

DogHouseMom 05-24-2016 02:55 PM

When I did garment construction we used to pull the fabric on the bias to straighten the grain before we made any cuts. With quilting I don't worry about it so much. I wash my fabric, starch and iron the portion that I'm going to use, then make a guestimate cut (if I'm portioning) or if I'm using all of it, I fold it lengthwise until the fold doesn't have any creased and as close to "matching selveges" as possible, then I'll make a straight cut on the right side and that is the side I will work from.

Deb watkins 05-24-2016 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin (Post 7558246)
Hmm. I am a diehard prewasher unlike many others. After washing I like to iron/press my fabric. I give it a shake then let it rest to straighten itself out and get back into shape. That is my idea of straightening fabric.

This is my favorite method as well.