Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Strange Ideal-? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/strange-ideal-t3906.html)

DebJ 01-05-2008 07:03 PM

I was thinking earlier today that I would like to make two pieced tops(?) from the same pattern for the same size. One using my cat fabric and the other my purple. Then use one for the back and the other the front so I would have a reverseable quilt. Do you think it would work or am I NUTS? Most likely nuts but I was thinking this and decided I would get input from here before I do anything. Don't want to turn stash to trash, :lol: :roll:

bj 01-05-2008 07:21 PM

I think Simply Quilts had a guest on a while back that said that was a new trend in quilting...making pieced backs so the quilt is reversible. I think it is a great idea. Let me know how it works out for you. Have been toying with trying it myself. I sometimes hate using up a big piece of fabric I really like to make a quilt back :)

Flying_V_Goddess 01-05-2008 08:31 PM

Its not a crazy idea at all.

annmarie 01-05-2008 08:32 PM

I think it is a great idea! I've seen 2 sided table runners - 1 side for Halloween & the other for Thanksgiving so why not a reversible quilt. Think of the possiblilities!!

MissTreated 01-05-2008 10:10 PM

One of our local quilt stores was actually hosting a class in reversible quilts.

And I just helped a girlfriend make two quilts (for her twins) and we did big patchwork on the backs. They turned out great, but the back was pretty non-critical for the quilting part of it.

I think you can handle it!!! You go, girl!!

M

Country Quilter 01-06-2008 01:50 AM

I think it would be do-able.....my first thought tho, (not to put a damper on the idea) was this.... when it comes time to match the edges for binding it, how would one go about that?... but I guess a wide border ...at least on one side would help with that. Another would be the quilting....an all over meander, or patterned quilt design would probably work, but you couldn't stitch in the ditch on one side and expect it to land in the same spot on the other, right? LOL

I guess I thought of that because I am still stuck in the ditch....been practicing my free motion tho!

patricej 01-06-2008 04:09 AM

i'm doing a pieced back now in pursuit of a reversible quilt. i'm still trying to figure out how to make sure everything lines up on both sides since there is no sashing on either side. i'll let you know if my idea works ... as soon as i have an idea and try it. :lol:

Moonpi 01-06-2008 10:46 AM

Some antique quilts were made this way - with a winter (dark) and summer (lighter colors) side.

Dawn Hendrix 01-06-2008 10:59 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I posted pictures of a quilt I gave a friend and I did just that. Here are the pictures again. the back was bright and the front subdued wasn't sure which one she would like more.

back
[ATTACH=CONFIG]1143[/ATTACH]

front
[ATTACH=CONFIG]1149[/ATTACH]

refibered 01-06-2008 02:17 PM

Dawn, that's really pretty! Did you quilt in a meandering pattern? Or something specific?

As for DebJ's original question: I think using the same pattern with different fabrics is a great idea! Can't wait to see what you do!

rf