Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   strange question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/strange-question-t26422.html)

hannahsmom 10-02-2009 05:23 PM

ok.. this may seem like a dumb question but where can I find (online) certain material I am looking for. I am used to finding my material in stores but I have limited resources here and I can't find it this way so I am truning to the internet.

Like I have a baby quilt that was my husbands as a boy and now I want to make one just like it for my son.. how can I search for the same type of material?

It has 12 different large (like 12x12) blocks with truck, tractors and so on in each of the squares. I am only finding material with truck or whatever on it that is small and randomly printed....

Someone please help!!!

sunkistmi 10-02-2009 05:30 PM

Hi Traci,
I am new to this board, but have been absolutely mesmerized by fabric on E-Bay. There are lots of stores that can be accessed by typing 'fabric', quilting fabric, and all kinds of places pop up. If you Google the design of the fabric, items will pop up also. You can go from link to link, to link, to link, well you get the picture. It is VERY addictive. Good luck with your search.

Wendy

sharon b 10-02-2009 05:38 PM

I don't know all the details, but maybe a crayon quilt ? You draw the pictures yourself on fabric with crayons and then use an iron to set them into the fabric .
I guarantee someone else will be able to explain it better than I have :roll: But it is a way to get exactly what you want :lol:

Favorite Fabrics 10-02-2009 05:40 PM

You're not likely to be able to find fabrics that are exactly like your husbands...

You might try searching for pillow panel fabrics, though. Those typically have 18" squares. But since the 18" usually includes some "borders", depending on the design of the panel, you might be able to remove the borders and have left something that's closer to 12". Realistically, probably more like 14"... but that's closer!

You're likely to be able to find some tractors, and probably lots of different animals.

bearisgray 10-02-2009 05:44 PM

You can also post on www.missingfabrics.com and www.fabrics.net

It's worth a try, anyway.

Good luck with your search.

If you post a picture of your husband's quilt here, someone might have some of the fabrics in their stash. Some of us have been acquiring fabric for YEARS! and then we may have inherited some from our Mom's - - -

Moonpi 10-02-2009 06:33 PM

Can you post a picture of it? You might be able to re-create it by printing a photo on fabric, or use the originals for applique patterns.

MadQuilter 10-02-2009 08:50 PM

You probably won't find the EXACTY fabric, but a search on fabric with construction vehicles, or trucks, or cars, should give you a wealth of choices.

hannahsmom 10-03-2009 03:29 PM

thanks so much to all of you who helped me out... I think I have a lot of work to do but I also believe that I have some great leads to go with.
THANKS AGAIN!!!

crossginny 10-04-2009 05:52 AM

go to quiltshops.com and type in words that describe what you're looking for:
"tractors" or "dump trucks"
You'll most likely get lots of choices for each item.

GailG 10-06-2009 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b
I don't know all the details, but maybe a crayon quilt ? You draw the pictures yourself on fabric with crayons and then use an iron to set them into the fabric .
I guarantee someone else will be able to explain it better than I have :roll: But it is a way to get exactly what you want :lol:

I think that's an excellent idea. There are tutorials online for the technique.