Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Stretching my brother 1500 machine - wow quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stretching-my-brother-1500-machine-wow-quilting-t221219.html)

Peckish 05-12-2013 08:40 AM

I have to disagree with the "slow stitch speed" claim about the vintage Singer. I have a Singer 201 that was stretched by Wow to 18" and it stitches as fast as my Brother 1500 - or about 1500 stitches per minute. It performs much better on a frame than my 9" Janome 1600DB ever did.

pocoellie 05-12-2013 09:31 AM

Personally, rather than spending money on stretching my regular machine I'd go with a Bailey machine, they have a 13", 15" and 17" and from everything I've heard about them, they have a good reputation. The Bailey will be the machine I get when I have the room.

twinkie 05-13-2013 03:33 AM

WOW what a great idea.

romanojg 05-13-2013 03:51 AM

This sounds really great. I agree it would be better to use a high end machine; especially since it cost 2000 to stretch it. I looked all over their website and they talk several places about how great they are but "no where" do I see anything about them guaranteeing what they do. I'm sure at the very least if you have a warranty on your machine it would void that warranty. Plus, are the changes going to make the machine more difficult to get serviced. These are just a few things that I wonder about. I have a Viking Mega Quilter that would be great at 18" but at what cost; above and beyond the 2000 that they do charge.

sweetlummi 05-13-2013 04:51 AM

OMG for $2000 think I would just stick to fighting with my little brother

nygal 05-13-2013 05:31 AM

I never heard of "stretching" your machine. I own the Brother 1500 and it's just sitting under its cover. I haven't used it enough to say that I love it. I do love my other every day Brother that I bought years ago.

sherryl1 05-13-2013 06:38 AM

They charge $2000.00 to stretch your machine.I'm sure you could find a good mid arm machine for that amount of money.And they don't stretch the height.Soquilting a queen or king would be out of the question.After it is rolled a few time it will be too thick to go through the machine.But to help that you can turn the quilt around by unpinning then repining.No this won't work for very long.And for $2000.00 just buy something designed to do what you want from the get go.Jerry rigging stuff never works for very long.I can get down the road on a pair of roller skates,but a Caddie would be better.

mgmsrk 05-13-2013 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by cheryl222 (Post 6059411)
For a few hundred more you can get a Bailey and keep the other machine for piecing. Love my Bailey for quilting and so happy I have my Juki for piecing.

That is what I was thinking and you are practicly in Bailey's back yard so you should be able to go and try them.

Barbara From Massachusett 05-13-2013 12:34 PM

I am on a Juki chat group. I would have second thoughts about this after reading comments from people that had them done. Early messages praised their service, but then, there were many negative reviews and frustrated customers who described what went on with each of their WOW streched machines and poor service. Barbara from MA

icul8rg8r 05-13-2013 12:40 PM

Interesting. Never even knew "stretching" could be done. Every day I learn something new on this board! That said, like someone else mentioned, for that price I'd get a Bailey's (which I hope to do someday) and then I'd still have my non-stretched sewing machine.