Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   String Quilt Backing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/string-quilt-backing-t308760.html)

Pudge 12-23-2019 05:43 AM

String Quilt Backing

I would like to make a string block quilt using muslin for the block base, and then adding a backing and quilting without adding batting. Would this work to make a lighter weight summer quilt? Am I missing something?

LAF2019 12-23-2019 05:48 AM

I don't see anything wrong with that!

Pudge 12-23-2019 05:52 AM

Great, thanks!

Homespun 12-23-2019 06:23 AM

sounds good to me.

juliasb 12-23-2019 06:42 AM

This sounds great for a summer quilt, fall quilt and light weight winter quilt too :). A wonderful thing about quilting, you are in charge and you as the designer have the final and only important say in the making of your quilt. Sounds like a great idea all the way around.

Jordan 12-23-2019 07:11 AM

I think that would be a great idea. Just a light cover for the summer.

QuiltE 12-23-2019 08:37 AM

Of course, it can work!

One thing you may want to consider ...
After you join your string blocks together, will you be content with the bulk that will be created?
Or would you sooner have some batting to somewhat buffer the bulk.

For summer quilts, I have used flannelette as my batting.
Creates a nice hand and drape without a lot of bulk, weight or warmth.
Yet, keeps it all somewhat cozy.

Pudge 12-24-2019 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 8344167)
Of course, it can work!

One thing you may want to consider ...
After you join your string blocks together, will you be content with the bulk that will be created?
Or would you sooner have some batting to somewhat buffer the bulk.

For summer quilts, I have used flannelette as my batting.
Creates a nice hand and drape without a lot of bulk, weight or warmth.
Yet, keeps it all somewhat cozy.

Do you mean the bulk of the block seams? If so, I think you're right. I'd probably lay in bed fiddling with the seams thinking darn, that's why I needed batting! I like the flannel idea. And I know I should wash the flannel (twice) before using it because it will shrink. Thanks for your help.

QuiltE 12-24-2019 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Pudge (Post 8344426)
Do you mean the bulk of the block seams? If so, I think you're right. I'd probably lay in bed fiddling with the seams thinking darn, that's why I needed batting! I like the flannel idea. And I know I should wash the flannel (twice) before using it because it will shrink. Thanks for your help.

Yes ... there'd be the bulk from the strings and then joining the blocks together you get more bulk.
Chuckling here, as yes, I would probably be fiddling away too ...
Quite the visual we have both created now! :D

If you want to check your options ... you could always do a trial run,
and see what feels comfortable and less fiddle-worthy to you! Maybe a dolly blanket?

I wash the flannelette atleast twice ... in as hot of water and dryer I can!
Shrink Shrink Shrink!!! :)

PineHaven 12-24-2019 05:53 PM

I would use the thinnest batting in the string quilt. I believe it will give some definition to the appearance.