Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   String Quilt Border options? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/string-quilt-border-options-t269439.html)

Appa Valley 08-31-2015 07:02 AM

String Quilt Border options?

1 Attachment(s)
Hello there fabulous people!

I have a string quilt that I would like to sew borders onto. I just don't know what colors to use. Maybe a 2 inch inner border of white and then a 4-6 inch border of another color? I know ya'll will have some wonderful options to share. Here is a picture of the quilt top so far:

Appa Valley 08-31-2015 07:02 AM

Sorry that it's sideways.

Mariposa 08-31-2015 07:09 AM

I'd vote for a wide border of the med. bright blue in the blocks~~ :)

dunster 08-31-2015 07:20 AM

I think a white inner border is a great idea, and then I'd probably do a piano key border in all the different colored scraps.

Buckeye Rose 08-31-2015 07:49 AM

Since your quilt is very busy with all the different colors and prints, I would lean towards a solid for the borders giving the eye someplace "quiet" to rest. A white/cream border first, one matching what is used in the blocks and it will give the blocks the appearance of floating...maybe something bright like red or blue for the outer border, but that is a personal choice as almost any color will look good. Your quilt looks great!

Nammie to 7 08-31-2015 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 7302587)
I think a white inner border is a great idea, and then I'd probably do a piano key border in all the different colored scraps.

That is what I did on the last string quilt I made, Then I did another small white border. The binding will be in a color. Love string quilts!

QuiltnNan 08-31-2015 07:58 AM

i would go with a darker solid-ish border

Bree123 08-31-2015 09:53 AM

What a cool quilt! I'd do a double border -- dark tone for inner border (wedgewood blue or deep red) and then something light and bright for a larger outer border (yellow, orange or pink depending on the inner's color). Then, bind in something darker again so it doesn't show dirt ... probably the same color as inner border.

I'd probably do a 2" finished inner border in the deep red followed by a 3" or 5" finished outer border in orange, then bind in red. They both read as solid colors & it would bring out that beautiful orange in the quilt that is already quite striking and using analogous colors will help give the entire quilt a nice, rich theme.

If you want to go with blue, I'd maybe do the darker blue for the inner border & a lighter blue in the outer border.

MadQuilter 08-31-2015 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 7302587)

Ditto. That was my first thought.

Jingle 08-31-2015 01:22 PM

I always try to pick a piece for the border that goes with at least one color in the quilt. One not used in the quilt.