Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Strip Quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/strip-quilting-t56847.html)

Joyce 07-29-2010 03:26 PM

Anyway you want to! She was rude!

IrishNY 07-29-2010 03:35 PM

You should have looked even more horrified that she thought she had the right to pass judgment on your work. Do it whatever way you want. If you don't like how it turned out, do it different next time. That's how the rest of us learned (including the rude woman you encountered).

JanetM 07-29-2010 04:38 PM

I'm not sure what her objection was. I am currently making a strip quilt using Hoffman Bali Pop strips. They are cut on the grain, so yes the blocks have bias edges. There are any number of books that show this method without any fear of the bias edges.

What would she have you do...cut the strips on the bias so once the blocks were put together your edges would be on grain????

You did it the correct way...keep going! :-D

Joanie2 07-29-2010 04:41 PM

Ok, so the question I have is did you use any foundation with your strips? You can use paper (I started out with newspaper as I was taught by an 80 yr old who learned from her mother). You can use magazine pages cut to size. I now use old white cotton sheets. The foundation keeps the blocks stable to prevent stretching as all the edges are bias. If you are happy with your first string quilt, don't let anyone discourage you. It's all a learning process and each time you will get better and better. My theory is if you don't make a mistake how can you learn the right way.

Jingle 07-29-2010 05:20 PM

You do things however you want to, there are no quilt police. There seems to be rude people where ever you go. They need to keep opinions to themselves.

AnnaK 07-29-2010 05:23 PM

I have made several strip quilts and make them just the way you described. Once you sew your strips to the foundation, the bias is not an issue and they are supposed to be on the diagonal. Don't let some judge-mental biddie bring you down my friend. Post pictures of your quilt when you're ready; would love to see it.

franie 07-29-2010 05:25 PM

Me too I want to see. I am sure it is just fine. I hope you go back there and show her after it is quilted that it can be done!

tutty 07-29-2010 05:26 PM

I stretched out by ironing instead of pressing and thought wow was this ever a good lesson ! No one was mean to me about it ! Maybe a new fabric shop is in order ?

littlehud 07-29-2010 06:02 PM

Tell her there are no quilting police and you love your quilt. Just shrug her off.

GoBama 07-29-2010 06:10 PM

After she was so horrified that it was bias, I figured I should have cut strips on bias so they would be on grain when I put it together. I made 4 blocks and sewed them together to make one giant block which resembled a square. Saw this done by another quilt lady and she used strips of a different width, so that's what I did. The giant block is 24" plus black/white fencing and it is a handful to quilt.