Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Stripology Squaare up Ruler and rotating mat (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stripology-squaare-up-ruler-rotating-mat-t297766.html)

Schill93 06-21-2018 03:48 PM

Stripology Squaare up Ruler and rotating mat

I am contemplating the purchase of the ruler below.

https://www.amazon.com/Creative-Grid...%2F2+%22+ruler

I have the larger June Taylor Shape and Cut for cutting long strips. However, I do have a bad relationship with rotary cutting and staying on track when squaring up blocks as well. My hand seems to like veering off.:eek: So I thought the ruler might be helpful with this.

Also, if I buy this, I would like to get a different rotating mat, as the one I have is so difficult to turn, it defeats the purpose. I was considering the Martelli, but it is very expensive and I have read that they tend to wobble.

So, I would appreciate any input on either of these items if you should have them.

peaceandjoy 06-21-2018 05:00 PM

I have both...

I much prefer the Creative Grids ruler to the June Taylor strip ruler. the JT one was a thinner acrylic, I think. This make it too easy or me to make crooked cuts with it.

Martelli mats are hands down my favorite, the rotating mat included. Unless you are in a hurry to get it, go to their website and register for newletters/specials. They offer a discount several times a year; I bought mine at 50% off. Have had it for years with no problems.

Jingle 06-21-2018 06:40 PM

I bought a new June Taylor strip cutter today. I have about worn out my old one. Best way to make straight cuts and accurately. I have a rotating mat. don't use it much as my cutting table is usually crowded.

PaperPrincess 06-21-2018 06:55 PM

I can't comment on the ruler, but I have Beba's lazy susan rotating cutting mats. I got the small (10X10) at a show and the largest one on ebay. The thing that I really like is that they have a piece of felt on the bottom so the mat turns easily, but when you put pressure on to make the cut the felt compresses just the right amount so the feet on the unit contact your table which keeps the mat stable allowing you to cut without a wiggle. They are very heavy.
http://www.bebasboutique.com/product-demos-1.html

Rhonda K 06-22-2018 03:00 AM

I have the 12 inch green rotating mat and the Martelli rotating mat. No issues with either. I don't have the ruler you are considering. I do like the CG line though and find they are my go to ruler(s) now over other brands.

A few suggestions for you that might help with cutting issues.
Try a 60 mm cutter. I seem to have more control using the 60 vs 45 mm cutter.
Do you have grip dots on the ruler(s) that you use for cutting? They help keep the ruler in place on the fabric.
Try a cutting glove too. I find it helps to keep the ruler in place and of course it is for safety reasons too.

Thank you Paper Princess. I was looking for the vendor with those mats. I saw a demo at a quilt show and liked the concept of those mats/tables. Her furniture pieces are beautiful too.

lindaschipper 06-22-2018 03:49 AM

You should take a look at the Matilda's Rotating Cutting Mat....it's 15". I think mine came from Amazon.com. I've owned several rotating mats and after a while they were junk. This one is heavy duty, no wobble to it...and spins wonderfully. I'll never have to purchase another rotating mat again. LOVE this mat.

Wanabee Quiltin 06-22-2018 04:20 AM

I love this ruler. It stays tight to the fabric. Have no clue about the mat though.

SusieQOH 06-22-2018 04:26 AM

I have that ruler and love it but I bought the Matilda rotating mat and love love love it!!! I like it much more than the square Olfa rotating mat.
I used the June Taylor for a long time but the Creative Grids is a lot nicer, in my opinion. It's sturdier.

skothing 06-22-2018 05:09 AM

IMO, I went with the Studio 2 die cutter. I found I have all of the strip cutters, rulers I will ever use. I can have an entire quilt cut out in a matter of an hour. Love BoB , and strip dies.

mhollifiel 06-22-2018 05:45 AM

Love my Martelli rotating mat! And the JT strip cutters are great! I have 8 of them. Not a fan of the Creative Grid ones because mine is not wide enough to cut a double folded WOF completely. I have heard that they have corrected this problem.

What makes JT work so well for me? I purchased metal spring clips at the hardware store and clip the ruler to my cutting mat after placement and before cutting. Now, with experience, I can cut accurately using only one clip on the cutting end and my gloved hand on the other end as I cut. Never a problem. I might also add that my glove is a Coast Guard glove inherited from my son that cannot be penetrated by anything sharp. Great grips and uber safe!

BTW, I cut everything for a charity bee and my tools have to be as problem free and reliable as I can make them. This is what works for me.