Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Studio Kat Designs Purse Patterns (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/studio-kat-designs-purse-patterns-t316194.html)

cashs_mom 08-21-2021 01:41 PM

Studio Kat Designs Purse Patterns

I'm just wondering if anyone has used one of the Studio Kat Designs patterns? I'm attempting to make the Guardian pattern. So far, it's been something of a disaster. Between the fact that there's a pattern with instructions and then also .pdf downloads with additional instructions to work back and forth between and the fact that she uses different terms for the same pieces at different times, I've had a lot of trouble putting it together. Now I've found that the way she has you insert the magnetic snaps between layers of fabric isn't working. My magnetic snaps won't snap! So now I'm trying to decide if I should take both the flap and the front apart and remove the snaps or just ignore them and use some other fastener.

I've made purses before and never had this much trouble with the pattern so I'm just trying to figure out if it's me or the pattern. lol

Gay 08-21-2021 03:30 PM

Are your magnetic snaps facing the correct way, as most magnets have a right and wrong side, and will reject each other if not turned the right way. Just a thought.

Grey Lady 08-21-2021 06:24 PM

Yes, check the direction of the snap. One side could be flipped. As to the designer, I'm one and done. To me, terribly wriiten pattern. The sling pack came out ok, but it was a chore.

cashs_mom 08-21-2021 06:29 PM

The snaps are facing the correct way. They just don't seem strong enough to hold when they have a couple layers of fabric over them. I thought about using the ones that you just push thru the fabric and them bend the tabs over. I think that's what I should have done.

Grey Lady, I think this is gonna be a one and done for me, too. I haven't enjoyed it and am wishing I'd just taken a pattern I already had and adapted it.

cavmom 08-22-2021 07:01 AM

I made the Sling Along bag. I did not have trouble with the magnetic snaps on that one, but I did have trouble with the pattern instructions. I was glad there were a couple of PDF/VIDEOS otherwise I would have given up.

Grey Lady 08-22-2021 07:58 AM

It was the sling along that I made. Thinking back, I cut a hold on the batting (maybe thermolam?) where the magnet goes so there was only one layer of fabric covering each magnetic. I don't remember who's instructions I used, I went searching on the internet to solve problems with the pattern.

dragonfly53 08-22-2021 11:23 AM

I love the StudioKat patterns but have tried 3 of them and abandoned them because they get confusing,. There are hand written instructions with the pattern, with lots of extra notes. Then there are more pattern notes and updates on the web page, which should make the construction easier but I found them confusing and tedious. You have to search all over the website to find out whether there are any more instructions.

cashs_mom 08-22-2021 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by dragonfly53 (Post 8503707)
I love the StudioKat patterns but have tried 3 of them and abandoned them because they get confusing,. There are hand written instructions with the pattern, with lots of extra notes. Then there are more pattern notes and updates on the web page, which should make the construction easier but I found them confusing and tedious. You have to search all over the website to find out whether there are any more instructions.

I totally agree. I had 2 set so instructions printed. Neither one had complete instructions so I had to keep going back and forth. It got very confusing. Now I've run out of Bosal. I ordered the amount they said I needed but there were no cutting instructions and I guess I cut the triangles the wrong way. I'm putting this on hold until Wed when I'll be at the LQS and can get some more. I'm going to work on the project from the David Sirota class. At least I have good instructions for that one!