Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Stuff you Use for Quilting, that isn't originally for Quilting!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stuff-you-use-quilting-isnt-originally-quilting-t152963.html)

quilt gramma 09-15-2011 11:41 AM

Ok I use the same things above as another quilter posted and my huby and girlfreind laughed at me with my miners light on my head but it does work if you cant see too good when hand stiching or ripping seams out ... So glad i am not alone with my house tools in my quilting room... I too have a magnetic dish and a telescopic wand to pick up my needles on the floor . I am a Gadget girl ..

Just Fabric 09-15-2011 11:45 AM

Old antique silverware wood boxes, one on the cutting table to hold purse findings, one next to the sewing machine to hold nippers, pins, bobbins. Plastic Sandwich container to hold all my long quilting pins, Canning jars for storing size labels/care labels, 9 cubicle wood shoe holder to put all my bottoms to the totes I make and pockets for my totes to be made, plus the plastic mesh canvas for bottoms of totes, cardboard boxes for squares for my rag quilts.

mucky 09-15-2011 11:45 AM

Love the idea of wearing the light. I got one when the electric was out last winter, but didn't think to use it quilting.

dsch 09-15-2011 12:03 PM

Great ideas!!

MrsWiggs 09-15-2011 12:22 PM

A large artiist canvas with a 12 1/2" square outlined on it divided into quarters. I lay out my block on the canvas at my cutting table @ transport the block to my sewing machine & sew it together. Did an Ohio star this way, kept me from making mistakes!

Earleen 09-15-2011 12:28 PM

Banana holder behind machine holds scissors, rotary cutter.
The plastic from under bacon makes templates.
DH made oak pressing sticks,slanted and straight.
got dentist tool set for cleaning teeth use as stilleto,diffrent shapes on ends.
tool cases the DD gets at work holds projects with locking clasps.( I see JoAnn's selling them now)
I know I will find something new soon around here.

cmplum 09-15-2011 12:30 PM

Use 16-Pocket hanging shoe file as wall organizer to store rolls of pantographs.
Use classroom 6-Pocket hanging wall file to store quilting templates.
Use Fabric Placemat to put up under sewing machine so it won't scratch or slide on table.
Use hanging canvas closet organizer normally used for sweaters,to store fabric bundles, pending projects, notions, Machine accessories & Patterns.
Use strip of velcro by machine to catch & keep cut threads from getting all over everything else.

karenpatrick 09-15-2011 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by lindasidlow
I put an old tricot nightgown over my clothes when I'm sewing. Keeps the "quilt poop" from attaching to me. Just slides right off!

This is a fabulous idea. Can't tell you how many times I've looked down at myself in the grocery store, doctor's office, etc. and noticed I was covered in quilt "poop".

karenpatrick 09-15-2011 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Quilt-Till-U-Wilt
One I forgot. I Use the rubber waffle like mats that are supposed to be used under scatter rugs so they don't slip under my foot pedal to keep it from moving.

If I'm sewing someplace other than my sewing table, I use this stuff under my sewing machine to keep it from scooting around.

arizonagirl 09-15-2011 12:47 PM

I have an old night stand under my cutting table that holds most of my GO cutter dies and a rubbermaid wrapping paper holder that holds that holds my longer Go dies. I use the little ziplock bags that Walgreens puts each perscription in to hold project templates and small block pieces. My migraine medication comes in a blue thin square box with a flip top that I use to hold old needles and rotary blades for safe disposal. Lint roller to remove loose threads after ripping out a seam. I use the holders that scarves come on at the store to hold long strips of fabric such as when I am working on a log cabin quilt. I have a clip board tacked to the wall by my sewing machine to hold the pattern I am working on and to also hold sale ads such as for Joann's