Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Stuff you Use for Quilting, that isn't originally for Quilting!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stuff-you-use-quilting-isnt-originally-quilting-t152963.html)

ewecansew 01-09-2012 04:39 PM

I use a pant hanger (hold multiple pairs of pants) to hold my cones of thread. It will also hold spools, but you have to take too many off to get the one you want. Hang in the closet and uses less space than a regular spool holder.

MaggieBB 01-09-2012 11:06 PM

Ping-Pong table for laying out quilts to baste, folds up after use!

mummyismean 01-10-2012 02:50 AM

an ex office fabric covered large display board for a display wall (was used by a dress designer and picked up from freecycle )
Also use it is as a room divider

WilliP 01-10-2012 03:26 AM

Among the many things I consider basic essentials are: compressed foam campers mat cut to fit under machines --reduces travel and such from vibrations as i RUN FULL STEAM AHEAD! lol Carpenter's Metal Squares both a large one and a smaller version. Small pliers kit from Sears includes needle nose as well as wire nippers etc., freezer paper, carpenter's blue pencil, tackle boxes --esp. like the little ones that have the rust inhibitor in them to keep my machine accessories in, C Clamps, parchment paper from the kitchen, blue painter's tape, electrical tape and duck tape, still keep an assortment of wire handy too. Think I will journal my list as I need to get my gear back together. Oh yes, a rolling mechanics tool chest to keep it in!

An Arm Long 01-10-2012 07:25 AM

I use dog bowls with a wide lip around the top as a circle ruler for my longarm. Turn it upside down and put little sandpaper dots under the lip.

QuiltE 01-10-2012 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by An Arm Long (Post 4860919)
I use dog bowls with a wide lip around the top as a circle ruler for my longarm. Turn it upside down and put little sandpaper dots under the lip.

Not sure I understand what you are using it for .... as a pattern for quilting circles?

onaemtnest 01-10-2012 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Barbpr (Post 4232353)
I use a curtain rod, bungee cords and chip clips to hang wallhangings (finished and in progress) in my quilt room.

​What a brilliant idea!!! I will using this for certain!

onaemtnest 01-10-2012 08:13 AM

[QUOTE=kaygee;4236576]I use the sticky roller (lint roller) on the carper around my work area and also to take the small threads left on the material after I had to rip a seam open.[/QUOTE
What a Great suggestion....I hate those small threads and picking them out!

mucky 01-10-2012 10:37 AM

Gum containers for safety pins

judy363905 01-17-2012 05:04 PM

Mole Skin

Originally Posted by Frolfsen (Post 4210981)
Where do you get a "mole skin foot pad" to mark the 1/4" line on your plate? Sounds like a nifty idea!

It is a Dr. Scholls foot product...check the Health and Beauty Area of grocery store or Walmart...

Judy in Phx, AZ