Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Stuff you Use for Quilting, that isn't originally for Quilting!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stuff-you-use-quilting-isnt-originally-quilting-t152963.html)

nana2makm 09-15-2011 07:09 AM

My sewing machines are in my small laundry room and I discovered by accident that sewing patterns fit very well in the drawer under my front load dryer!

snipforfun 09-15-2011 07:10 AM

I put an old tricot nightgown over my clothes when I'm sewing. Keeps the "quilt poop" from attaching to me. Just slides right off!

upchurs 09-15-2011 07:29 AM

Instead of using safety pins on my sandwiches, I cut up those long red erasers into small squares, maybe 1/4" to 3/8". I use those on the end of my 2" straight pins. Works similarly to Pinmoors (and a heck of a lot cheaper). Those safety pins were getting way too hard to handle with my arthritic hands. The pins work great with much less effort. I don't get stuck by the end of the pins because they are embedded within the eraser and they are easy to remove as I quilt.

Karen Powell 09-15-2011 07:40 AM

I have never heard of a pin moore. But this sounds like a great and practical idea !

sewmary 09-15-2011 07:40 AM

For binding, I roll on a toilet paper cardboard. Then put roll on the spindle in a CD container that held blank CDs (the tall ones that hold 100 blank CDs). Cut slit in plastic cover and feed end of binding through. Pop cover on. Binding stays clean - I can see it and not lose it - and it feeds out of the container as I sew.

PolkaBabe 09-15-2011 07:44 AM

Q-tips for removing lint form the feed & bobbin area. Another use for the q-tip is to place the bobbin & thread together. (Place q-tip in hole of thread & slip the bobbin right over it). My machine is in a cabinet so I have a small jar standing in the inside next to the machine to keep my small sissors for clipping, seam ripper, pencil etc. For years the second drawer was my trash can. Have enjoyed reading this thread....

Quilt-Till-U-Wilt 09-15-2011 07:45 AM

One I forgot. I Use the rubber waffle like mats that are supposed to be used under scatter rugs so they don't slip under my foot pedal to keep it from moving.

Michelle x7 09-15-2011 07:45 AM

Hi, I use half of a wooden clothes pin, without the spring, for finger pressing. Some times my fingers don't have much strength...arthritis vs. clothes pin, and it works very good.

vjengels 09-15-2011 07:46 AM

Rubber cement to glue odd sized templates to the underside of my ruler... this makes VERY speedy work of cutting diamonds etc, for EPP.
large Binder clips to hold my quilt layers down while I baste.
Scotch tape & markers to mark cutting lines on the underside of my rulers ( make your own 'twister' , dresden plate, 60* OBW etc. rulers)

Michelle x7 09-15-2011 07:47 AM

Hi, I use half of a wooden clothes pin, without the spring, for finger pressing. Some times my fingers don't have much strength...arthritis vs. clothes pin, and it works very good.